These Curried Caramelized Brussels Sprouts have the best of both worlds. Brussels Sprouts are pan seareed to caramelize with cumin seeds, then mixed with a tomato onion sauce. No Bake. Serve as a side. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Whats better than roasted Brussels Sprouts, These Pan caramelized and then smothered in tomato onion sauce Brussels Sprouts!
Brussels are caramelized on the pan with some whole cumin seeds and removed from the pan. Then the sauce is simmered with spices and the brussels tossed in the sauce to pick up some sauce flavor. The first step adds a nice caramelization and partly cooks the sprouts. So then they don’t need to be cooked too long with the sauce or get mushy or over cooked. Change up the flavors to preference and serve these as is or as a side!
Ingredients for Curried Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts: Fresh green small to medium brussels do best in this dish.
- Cumin seeds are toasted with the brussels sprouts adding a fantastic flavor. Don;t have whole cumin seeds, use ground cumin. Add in the end when the brussels sprouts have started to get golden brown edges.
- Onion, garlic, ginger and chile are the aromatics. Tomatoes are the rest of the sauce
- Turmeric, Garam masala and cayenne add more flavor. Use other spices and blends like curry powder, jamaican curry powder, ethiopian berbere for variation.
How to make Curried Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Assemble the ingredients. Remove the outer leaves and tough stem of the brussels sprouts. Slice into half if the sprouts are large.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds and mix for a few seconds. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until brown on some sides. Stir, Then cover and steam for a minute. Remove carefully from skillet.
Add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chili and a good pinch of salt. Cook until translucent.
Add the spices and 1/4 tsp salt and mix in. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup water and cook until tender. Mash the larger pieces.
Add the brussels sprouts, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup more water. Mix well, cover and cook to steam for 4 to 5 mins. Stir to mix and coat thee brussels with the thick onion tomato mixture. Take off heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
What to Serve with these Curried Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
You can serve these brussels with a side of your favorite curry and rice or with vegan meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy!
- Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Vegan Saag Chikin – Soy curls in Spinach Sauce
- Nut Loaf – Vegan Meatloaf
- Chickpea Veggie Loaf
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Pan Roasted Brussels with Turmeric and Sesame Seeds
- Herb Roasted Brussels sprouts and Cauliflower, no dry bits!
- Brussels Sprouts and potato curry
- Ziti cheddar Brussels Sprouts Bake
Curried Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tsp oil divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 green chili
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or use spices and blends like curry powder, jamaican curry powder, ethiopian berbere for variation
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 (182 g) large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup (118.29 ml) or more water
- cilantro pepper flakes, lemon juice for garnish
- Remove outer leaves and tough stems from the brussels sprouts. Slice into half if large.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds and mix for a few seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 4-5 minutes or until brown on some sides. Stir, Then cover and steam for a minute. Remove carefully from skillet.
- Add 1 tsp oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chili and a good pinch of salt. Cook until translucent.
- Add the spices and 1/4 tsp salt and mix in. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup water and cook until tender. Mash the larger tomato pieces.
- Add the brussels, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup more water. Mix well, cover and cook to steam for 4 to 5 mins. Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add more sal or garam masala as needed. Steam for a bit longer if the brussels are not cooked to preference.
- Take off heat. Garnish with cilantro, pepper flakes, lime and serve. Serve with a curry of choice such as chickpea coconut curry or serve as a side with vegan meatloaf.Store: Refrigerate for upto 3 days.