Easy Everyday Sandwich bread. How to make Vegan Everyday Sandwich Bread Loaf. Dairy-free nut-free soy-free Yeast Bread.
You know what, I realized that I have not posted a regular bread in a long while! Every week I end up baking some form of bread .. mutligrain, fruity, experimental random ones,(see the faux sourdough gf bread picture on the FB page). A plain bread comes out the oven probably once a month, but never sees the camera:) This time though, it did get clicked.
One of these days I will take a start to finish picture set. I hope the camera survives the flour and dough smudges!
This weekend we did a ton of cooking, some Tempeh Makhani(Tempeh in creamy sauce, a mighter and less tangy version of Tikka masala. Tikka Masala), Yellow Lentil Daal with Brussels Sprouts, Dassana’s Kashmiri Dum aloo(Non fried and vegan version), Rice and Naan! Entertaining is fun, but now I have loads of leftovers:)
I made this bread a week back and finally decided to post it. Its a great Sandwich bread, with half whole wheat and half bread flour. Its not totally white and its not dense like a all whole wheat bread. The bread goes well with anything and everything. What can you do with it apart from the usual sandwiches! you can make these Samoa French Toasts!
Edit the taste to your preference, add spices, or herbs and a little more salt for a herbed loaf or some cinnamon and added sugar for a cinnamon loaf. You can make a white loaf by substituting the wheat flour with bread flour(add a bit more bread flour while kneading).
Easy Everyday Sandwich bread
How to make Vegan Everyday Sandwich Bread Loaf. Dairy-free nut-free soy-free Yeast Bread. Makes a 8.5 by 4.5 medium loaf
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 1.5 cups (180 g) whole wheat flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1.25 cups (156.25 g) bread flour
- 1 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons active yeast Red Star
- 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- In a large bowl, add 2 Tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast. Mix and let sit until frothy(10 minutes).
- Add salt to the 1.5 cups wheat flour and mix. Add wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour to the yeast mix,
- Add agave, oil, rest of the water and knead 6-8 minutes in stand mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand.
- If the dough is sticky, then add a little bread flour until the the dough is soft and almost not sticky.
- Place dough in well greased container. Cover with towel and let sit for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, use a Tablespoon or so bread flour to help make the dough less sticky.
- Pull a bit on all sides and tuck under to get a taut top. Place the tucked side down on parchment lined or well greased bread pan.
- Spray water liberally on top, then sprinkle some flour or oats on top.
- Cover with towel and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a tap on he top sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Variations: Add 1-2 Tablespoons non dairy yogurt, Replace 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup almond milk(half the amount of liquid) To get nice slices, cool the bread in the refrigerator for atleast an hour before slicing. Also if possible use an electric knife:). Nutritional values are based on one serving
Easy Everyday Sandwich bread
Amount Per Serving
Calories 121 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.