Everything Bagel Tofu! Crispy Baked Tofu Seasoned with Everything but the bagel seasoning. Serve this Baked Everything Tofu with vegan ranch or hot sauce. Vegan Nut-free Oil-free Recipe, Can be Gluten-free.. Jump to Recipe
I have been eating more tofu lately (more on that below) and experimenting with it more too! And baked tofu is how I prefer the texture and flavor.
Whether you add a simple herbed breadcrumb breading for Crispy breaded tofu, a spicy ginger garlic marinade to bake and add to Indian curries, add a simple soy lime marinade for a stir fry, bake with peanut butter!, rub with cajun seasoning or other spices and then bake, the possibilities are endless! These easy tofu sticks are breaded with a mix of breadcrumbs and everything bagel seasoning. You can buy some premixed seasoning or make your own! Then batter and bread the tofu and bake. Crunchy, Delicious and so fun! Perfect to snack on, for the game day, for parties or as a side.
With the changing hormones and age, my digestion seems to prefer beans only a certain way- super fresh (made from dried beans, soaked and then cooked and then consumed within hours of cooking, No canned and no leftovers!) and generally in the earlier part of the day. My preferred protein hence has changed to tofu for dinners, while lunches are lentils, beans, tofu, shrooms etc. We have eaten legumes all our life, so it has been a change to adjust to other protein options. When we transitioned to a vegan diet more than a decade ago, our consumption of tofu was one 14 oz pack in a month! I didn’t much like Tofu until I started cooking with it. The food was all various types of beans and lentils and veggies and grains. You may have noticed this in the recipes on the blog a well. The slight shift with more tofu, mushroom and other ingredients compared to chickpeas and beans which would make a much frequent appearance a few years ago There are a thousand recipes on the blog now and you can find many to suit your preference based on which ingredients you prefer. Look through the recipe index!
Ingredients for Baked Everything Bagel Tofu
- For the batter, you need flour(all purpose or rice flour), starch, soy sauce/tamari, garlic powder, pepper salt and water.
- For the breading you need breadcrumbs and everything bagel seasoning. Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond flour + coarse oat flour for gluten-free.
How to make Baked Everything Bagel Tofu
Can I make this Baked Everything tofu Gluten-free?
Yes, Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or a mix of half almond flour + half coarse oat flour(blend oats until a coarse meal) and use rice flour for thickening in the batter.
Can I make these Soy-free?
Use coconut aminos to substitute soy sauce in the batter. For the Tofu, Use my chickpea tofu instead of tofu. My chickpea tofu recipe is firm, some other burmese tofu recipes make a softer tofu that will soften a lot more on baking.
More Baked Tofu!
- Crispy Breaded Tofu
- Chili Garlic Baked tofu
- Spiced Baked tofu for Butter Tofu
- Orange Tofu
- Cajun Tofu
- Peanut Butter Tofu
Also try some Pan fried Tofu
- Curried Tofu for Banh Mi
- Sticky Sesame tofu
- Palak Tofu Paneer
- Tofu Lalabdar – Tofu with Creamy Tomato ginger sauce
Everything Bagel Tofu
- 14 oz (396.89 g) firm or super firm tofu
- 2 tbsp flour (all purpose), Use rice flour or more starch for gluten-free
- 2 tbsp starch (tapioca or corn starch)
- 2 tsp soy sauce , tamari for gluten-free
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp salt , optional
- 1/3 cup (78.86 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (27 g) breadcrumbs , see notes for gluten-free
- 3 tbsp everything bagel seasoning (Quick Everything Bagel Seasoning: Mix 1.5 tbsp sesame seeds(white or a mix of white and black), 1 tbsp poppy seeds, 2 tsp onion flakes, 1 tsp dried minced garlic, 1/2 tsp flaked salt)
- Press the Tofu in a tofu press or place between paper towels and top with a few books or similar heavy weight for 15 mins. Then slice into 1/2 inch fingers. Line a baking dish or sheet with parchment or grease with a bit of oil. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (205 C).
- Mix the batter ingredients in a shallow bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs and bagel seasoning in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each tofu in the batter with one hand and transfer to the breading bowl. Use the other hand to coat with the seasoning mixture and place in the baking dish and inch away from each other. Spray oil on top (optional)
- Bake at 400 deg F for 35 mins or until golden.
- Serve the crisp tofu with vegan ranch or vegan blue cheese dressing or hot sauce.