Ringan Batata Nu Shaak is an easy Indian dish with Eggplants and potatoes that is stir fried with spices, chickpea flour and nuts. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Indian recipe.Jump to Recipe
Ringan Batata Nu Shaak
- 8 small brinjals/small eggplants cut into 4 pieces each
- 6 small potatoes cut into 4 pieces each
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) hing asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chilli powder or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp besan chickpea flour
- 1/2 Tbsp (0.5 Tbsp) peanut or almond powder a little coarse or ground sunflower seeds if you want to avoid nuts.
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- Heat up the oil on a medium flame and add the mustard seeds
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, reduce the flame to low and then add in the hing, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder.
- Mix well and cook for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes and mix well so that all the potatoes are covered with the masalas/spices.
- Add the brinjals/eggplants and mix well.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for about 1/2 hr or till the potatoes are done. The brinjals will become soft so no need to check if they're done. Stir once in between.
- Add the chickpea flour and the peanut powder and mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Turn off the stove and add the cilantro.
- Serve with Roti/Chapati/Puri Indian flat bread and Daal.
- This can be used later on as a stuffing inside a grilled sandwich with some onions, bell peppers, and Daiya cheese!