Spiced Cauliflower and Tofu in Green Masala Sauce. Baked Cauliflower and Tofu in green cilantro sauce. Hara Masala Gobi Tofu. The green masala sauce paste can be made ahead and stored. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe. Can be soy-free with chickpea tofu or chickpeas or beans or other veggies. Jump to Recipe
This is an easy green masala sauce that you can add many things to. In this recipe, the cauliflower and tofu are tossed in some spices and baked, added to the simmering sauce and served. The flavors meld together and the baked roasted cauliflower and tofu are crisp and smoky.
The green masala sauce has cilantro and some spinach and is a flexible sauce. You can make it with all cilantro, or all spinach or other baby greens. If you hate fresh cilantro, you might like this well cooked cilantro sauce, or use mint + spinach instead. Add veggies of choice or chickpeas or beans. Loads of options.
Serve with Naan or other flatbread or over rice.
More Easy Indian Meals from the blog
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Bombay Potato and Peas
- Aloo Baingan – Potato Eggplant Curry
- Tofu Matar Masala
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Saag Tofu
Spiced Cauliflower and Tofu in Green Masala Sauce - Hara Masala Gobi Tofu
Cauliflower and Tofu:
- 1/2 (0.5) large head of cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 7 oz (198.45 g) tofu pressed for 5 mins in paper towels and cubed, or use 1 cup more cauliflower, veggies or cooked chickpeas
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or other starch
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of salt , turmeric, ground cumin, coriander, garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more paprika
Green Sauce mix:
- 1 cup (16 g) packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup (15 g) baby spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 (0.5) hot green chile
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5) medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of ground cumin garam masala, and turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cloves
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar or other sweetener
- 1/2 cup (122 ml) non dairy milk almond, cashew or coconut
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc. Chop the cauliflower and tofu and add to a bowl. Drizzle oil and mix and rub in. In a bowl, mix the starch, spices and salt and mix well. Sprinkle all over the cauliflower and tofu and toss. Sprinkle some more paprika over the cauliflower and tofu for additional color and toss to coat. (Add 1 tbsp nutritional yeast for cheesier flavor). Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile. Blend all the ingredients under green sauce with few tablespoons of water until smooth.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pinch of salt and cook until translucent.
- Add spices, mix and cook for a minute. Pour the sauce from the blender jar into the skillet. Use a few more tbsp of water to rinse and get all the sauce from the jar and pour into the skillet. Add salt and sweetener. Bring to a boil. About 5 minutes. At this point you can store the sauce for use later (refrigerate for upto 3 days).
- Add the baked cauliflower and tofu to the sauce. Add salt and non dairy milk, toss well. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Let it sit covered for another 2 minutes before serving. Garnish with pepper flakes and serve with vegan Naan, flatbread or rice.