Vegan Gluten free Cinnamon Roll Bread – Yeast-free (No added yeast) Gluten-free Grain-free Cinnamon bread Recipe. Soft, fluffy and amazing. Batter of Besan (chickpea flour) swirled with Cinnamon Sugar. Can be nut-free.
When you cannot roll the batter, you make it into a swirled bread! This Soft and delicious bread is gluten-free, yeast-free, grain-free, but not taste-free. Never taste-free! A fluffy besan (brown chickpea flour) batter, and cinnamon sugar swirled in and baked for perfect Cinnamony, fluffy bites to start the morning. Serve warm with a drizzle of icing or vegan butter.
The batter for this Cinnamon Roll bread uses besan (brown chickpea flour) and uses citric acid to add air to the batter before baking. The principle of using citric acid in gluten-free baking is similar to aquafaba, To add air to the batter before baking. This method is used in Indian snacks and baking since decades. You can possible used whipped up aquafaba instead in this recipe. Whipping up aquafaba is not my cup of tea (too much noise and too long a process). Nor is the canned liquid. Hello changing metabolism. This recipe is far quicker, takes 15 seconds and easier! No elbow grease required, no 15 minutes of whipping, just mix in 5 strokes and done! Whats there to not like?
This recipe does not use any added yeast, but baking powder and citric acid for leavening. If you are sensitive to yeast, please check the other ingredients and use the versions that are safe for you. Vinegar uses yeast in the production process, and citric acid might as well. Use lemon juice and non yeast citric acid or all lemon juice like my gluten-free lemon donuts, For regular flour cinnamon Swirl bread/cake, try this as a loaf or in a shallow pan. Lets get to this amazing sticky gf bread.
I posted a different version of gf cinnamon rolls using similar ingredients in my Instagram stories a while back The rolling always makes a mess, so I changed up the plan and make a bread. This bread is amazing for the cinnamony, bready cinnamon roll craving. If you make these, do let me know how they turned out in the comments! Let me know if you changed things, if other flours worked out, how was the texture etc.
More gluten-free baked recipes from the blog
- Sweet Potato Crumb Cake. GF
- Gluten-free Brownies
- Sweet Potato Blondies. GF
- Gluten-free Lemon Donuts
- And many more here
For regular with gluten Cinnamon Rolls, see these.
You can make this without the citric acid like my lemon donuts, but I would suggest getting some to use, so you can use it in other gluten-free baking as well. You can make these without almond flour, just omit the almond flour. The starch can be subbed with 2 tbsp more besan. The bread will tend to dry out quicker without the starch, so use icing generously.
Besan is flour of Chana dal or skinned brown chickpeas while chickpea flour is flour of white chickpeas. Slightly different chickpeas and the flours behave slightly differently. I prefer besan for this bread as it is a finer flour and makes for a lighter bread. You can get besan from an Indian store or amazon. It can be used in most all recipes that use chickpea flour.
The method for making this cinnamon bread comes from gluten-free steamed savory cakes called Dhokla.
Vegan Gluten free Cinnamon Roll Bread Yeast-Free
- 3/4 cup besan (gram flour), will also work with chickpea flour, but will need more icing for added moisture
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1.5 tbsp almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp citric acid powder
- 1/4 cup fine or powdered sugar ,1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use a combination of coconut sugar and cane or powdered)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon , + a good pinch of nutmeg and cardamom if you wish
- 2 tsp oil
- Grease a deep casserole dish (I use 1.5 qt, 9.5 by 7.5 inch),and keep ready. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk in all the dry ingredients to combine well.
- In another bowl, mix the lemon, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well. Add the mixture and oil to the dry bowl and whisk to combine really well. The batter will start to increase in volume with air and will become thick and fluffy. Set aside for 2 mins
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon for the filling and a good pinch of salt and set aside.
- Drop the fluffy batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle some of the sugar cinnamon mixture and swirl it around. Drop more of the batter and more of the sugar cinnamon mixture. Drizzle oil on top in the end.
- Cover the casserole with a parchment and a baking sheet to seal. Bake for 14 to 15 minutes. Take the casserole out and let it sit covered with parchment for another 2 minutes.
- Add a drizzle of melted vegan butter or icing and serve while hot. To store, cover and store on the counter for a few hours, those these are best fresh and warm.
Today is Giving Tuesday! Check out our favorite charities, rescues and organizations and the wonderful work they have accomplished. A portion (we try to get to 40% each year) of both my Books proceeds goes to the list every year.