Vegan Pizza Rolls. Easy Pizza dough stuffed with herbed Mushroom tomato filling, rolled, sliced and baked. Delicious snack or appetizer! Vegan Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
You know whats more fun that pizza, soft pizza rolls! A simple pizza dough flavored with herbs, filled with a mushroom tomato stuffing, rolled, sliced and baked for a flavorful, fun appetizer! These rolls can be prepped ahead and are freezer friendly.
You can also make them into Pizza pockets. Divide the dough into 4 portions, add the filling and vegan cheese such as vegan mozzarella, or use my mozzarella sauce from the portobello burgers. Seal and bake for 20 to 25 mins. Serve with marinara.
Ingredients used in these Vegan Pizza Rolls and substitutions
- The dough for the rolls uses active dry yeast, water, flour and semolina as the main ingredients. Some tomato paste, oregano, garlic and olive oil add flavor which complements the filling. You can use any plain pre-made pizza dough here too.
- The filling is mushrooms, onion and garlic, with flavor from oregano, basil, pepper, balsamic vinegar and tomato paste. The thick mixture tastes amazing and is not very chunky, making it easy to roll the dough out like cinnamon rolls. Add some vegan cheese and roll.
- You can add some cooked lentils, or coarsely chopped walnuts, vegan meats/sausages, chopped olives to the filling for variation.
- Oilfree: Saute in broth for the filling. Use warmed creamy non dairy milk instead of oil in the dough.
- Gluten-free: Use a gluten-free pie crust and make pizza pockets instead. Or use my gluten-free naan bread batter, fill it in a lined muffin pan (about half the liner). Swirl in the filling lightly into the batter to create rolls like swirls. Top generously with vegan cheese and bake for 15 to 18 mins.
Assemble the dough ingredients. Proof the yeast in half a cup of water and 1 tbsp flour. Mix the tomato paste, herbs, salt in the other half cup water.
Add flour and yeast mixture to the bowl and mix to make a soft, somewhat dough. , cover and let sit to rise.
Assemble the filling ingredients, chop the onion, garlic, mushrooms. I use a small food processor for quick chopping.
Cook the onion and garlic, then add chopped mushrooms and cook until golden, add the herbs, salt, tomato paste and mix to make a cohesive mixture.
Punch the dough down, use some flour to roll the dough out into a 11 by 15 inch rectangle. roll the dough thin enough as it will rise a lot during baking. Spread the now cooled filling evenly keeping about half inch from the edges. Add some vegan cheese shreds. Roll the rectangle tightly and seal the edge. Slice with sharp knife or plain thread. Place in a greased baking dish and add more cheese on top or drizzle some of my vegan mozzarella cream sauce. Bake and enjoy!
How to make these Vegan Pizza Rolls ahead of time
Yes these pizza rolls can be made ahead. Once sliced and placed in baking dish, you can keep the rolls refrigerated overnight. Cover tightly and store. Remove from the fridge and let sit on the counter for an hour to warm and rise. Then bake and serve.
To store, store refrigerated for upto 5 days and freeze for upto a month.
More Breads and Rolls
- Sweet Potato dinner rolls
- Pumpkin Cornbread
- Pull Apart Pizza Bread.
- Pumpkin Sage Biscuits
- 100% Whole Grain Dinner Rolls
- Gluten-free Jalapeno pepperjack Biscuits GF
- Gluten-free Garlic Dinner Rolls GF
Vegan Pizza Rolls
Save This Recipe in Your Inbox
Share your email and we will send this recipe! Plus, enjoy all the new recipes as they post!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Vegan Richa.
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) warm water divided
- 2 tsp active yeast
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 1.5 cup (187.5 g) all purpose flour or a mix of wheat and all purpose
- 1 tbsp semolina
- more semolina or flour to roll
For the filling.
- 1/2 (0.5) onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic , chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each basil, oregano, thyme
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) each onion powder, garlic powder
- generous dash of black pepper and red pepper flakes
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- 2 tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar + wine or balsamic + soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (87.33 g) tomato paste , 1/4 cup for less tomatoey, or use a thick pizza sauce instead and less or no water
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) water
- vegan cheese , optional
- fresh basil or herbs and pepper flakes for topping
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to a bowl. Add the yeast and 1 tbsp flour and mix well. Let sit for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to another bowl Mix in the tomato paste, salt, oil and herbs until well combined.
- Add the the flours and yeast water mixture to the tomato water bowl and mix with a large spoon to make a soft dough. Just mix until well combined. Add a tbsp or so more flour if too sticky. Spray oil. cover with a towel and let sit to rise in a warm place for an hour.
- Make the filling. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add chopped mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3 mins, then cover and cook for another 3 mins.
- Add the herbs, salt, and wine/balsamic vinegar and mix well. Then add the tomato paste and 2 to 4 tbsp of water to help the paste mix in. Cook for 1-3 mins until the mixture thickens. Take off heat and let cool for 10 mins before using.
- Meanwhile, punch the dough down. Use some flour (Depending on the flour used, you will need 1 tbsp to a few tbsp flour) to bring it together into a not too sticky flat disc, then roll it out on parchment into about 11 by 15 inch or larger rectangle. You want to keep the dough thin as it will expand a lot during baking and too much bread to filling ratio is not as much fun.
- Spread the filling on the dough, keep a half inch from the edges. Add vegan cheese shreds if using.
- Roll, tightly, seal the edge. Slice with a sharp knife, thread or floss, Grease a baking dish (9 by 9 inch or larger )and place the rolls a quarter inch apart. Cover and let rise for 20 mins. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (205 C)
- Spray oil on the rolls and bake at 400 deg F for 22 to 25 mins. Check the center roll, if it is still doughy then bake for another few mins if needed. You can also add more vegan cheese or my mozzarella cream sauce at this time and bake for a few mins to melt or brown. Garnish with pepper flakes and fresh herbs. Serve hot as is or with some marinara on the side. To store, store refrigerated for upto 5 days and freeze for upto a month.