Vegan Pumpkin French Toast with Pumpkin Cornbread, pumpkin pie spices and Caramelized Apples! Breakfast for fall. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Can be gluten-free with gluten-free cornbread
I had another batch of pumpkin cornbread but no soup to finish it up with. Oh well, we could have finished it up as is (its so good!), but I decided to make pumpkin french toasts with it.
The Pumpkin french toast batter has generous amount of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spices mixed with a bit of starch and non dairy milk. The bread is soaked for a few seconds then pan fried. I love this batter with my pumpkin cinnamon swirl Sandwich bread. The combination with the pumpkin cornbread is even more delicious. Cornbread doesnt get soggy. It has pumpkin and spices already which get amplified with the pumpkin + spices in the batter. And is topped with spiced apples. Fall spices everywhere! Try not to eat these right off the skillet.
I served these with apples cooked with coconut sugar, mainly because the photos with just butter weren’t looking as fun :). These french toasts are very delicious as is!
More fall recipes
- Pumpkin Sage Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Pie Bars.
- 1 bowl pumpkin cream cheese muffins
- Sweet Potato Blondies. GF
- Pumpkin Pecan Crumb Coffee Cake.
- Sweet Potato Crumb Cake GF
Its triple pumpkin pie spice! Some on the Cornbread, some more in the batter and more in the apples.
Vegan Pumpkin French Toasts with Pumpkin Cornbread
- 7 to 8 thick slices of pumpkin cornbread or 6 to 7 thick slices of pumpkin cinnamon bread or other whole grain stale bread (see notes for links)
Pumpkin French Toast Batter:
- 1/2 cup (4.32 oz) pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup (183 ml) non dairy milk (almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp starch (cornstarch or arrowroot starch)
- 1 tbsp flour , use rice flour to make gluten-free
- 2 tsp flax meal optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- 2 small apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp ) pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients under batter and let it sit for a few minutes while you heat up the skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the slices in the batter for a few seconds, then place on the hot skillet (sprayed with oil for cast iron or no oil if using a good non stick). Cook for 4 to 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 3 to 4 or until golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple and vegan butter or some caramelized apples
- Caramelized apples: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, spices, water and a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
Perfect amount of batter for about 7 pieces of sourdough french toast. Topped with pecans. Yummy recipe. Thanks 🙂
Made the cornbread late last week and then the french toast on Saturday. Had a slice of the cornbread straight from the oven – oh my, so delicious!!! Kids loved the french toast version. The cornbread was sweeter and served with fried apples, so I was able to get away with no syrup! Had a lot of extra french toast batter so I’d probably half that next time. Great recipes – Thanks!!!
Awesome! Add some baking powder and flour and make it into pancakes!
Cassie Autumn Tran
“Try not to eat these right off the skillet.” Love this! Haha, I will have such a hard time refraining from doing so! Your take on French toast looks absolutely lovely. I really need to try the French toast wash–maybe……French toast bagel pieces?
Now that’s mouth-watering.
So I can use any cornbread?
i would use a neutral flavor or sweeter cornbread for these.
Thanks Richa, noted please.
I am planning to try it next week or maybe over the weekend if I get time. 😛