Easy 1 Bowl Vegan Zucchini Bread. Hearty Zucchini Bread with Chia seeds and Chocolate chips. Add some walnuts or other nuts for variation. Vegan Nutfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
Is your zucchini crop filling up baskets yet? The abundance of summer squash around means a lot of grilled veggies, minestrone, shredded zucchini fritters, zucchini sloppy lentils and more ways to use them up.
This zucchini bread is another popular loaf to add to the repository. With chia seeds for additional nutrition, these soft, moist, delicious slices make a for a great breakfast or snack. Add nuts, other toasted seeds and dried fruit for a hearty breakfast loaf. For Gluten-free try this GF Zucchini Loaf.
More Bakes from the blog
- Golden Turmeric Coconut Loaf – 1 Bowl.
- Grain-free Carrot Banana Bread. Use shredded zucchini instead of carrot for Grain-free Zucchini Banana Bread,
- Carrot Turmeric Chia Muffins.
- Sweet Potato Pie Bars.
- Pumpkin Pecan Crumb Coffee Cake.
- Gluten-free Cakes and Loafs.
Tips for a great zucchini bread
- Zucchini can have a ton of moisture which can end up throwing the dry to wet balance off and making the bread gummy. Squeeze out the zucchini for best results.
- Use a good balance of batter to zucchini. More zucchini than what the batter can handle also can yield gummy or wet result.
- If you arent accustomed to or fond of the chia texture, omit the chia seeds.
- This bread can be made without oil and low sugar, see recipe notes. The bread can tend to dry out without the oil and will benefit from the addition of 1/4 cup coconut flakes.
Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread with Chia Seeds
- 3/4 cup (183 ml) non dairy milk , such as almond milk, soy milk
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) raw sugar or light brown sugar or coconut sugar , 1-2 tbsp more for sweeter
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup (80.5 g) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups (187.5 g) flour (I use 1 cup unbleached all purpose and 1/2 cup wheat)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) spices like cinnamon , optional
- 1 cup (124 g) shredded zucchini , squeezed between paper towels to remove excess moisture
- 1/3 cup (60 g) chocolate chips , plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 365 deg F (190 C), line a loaf pan with parchment or grease well. Mix non dairy milk and chia seeds in a large bowl and let sit for 10 mins. Then whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Fold in the zucchini. Add the dry ingredients (start with 1.25 cups flour if using more whole grain flour, and more a tbsp at a time), and mix to make a thick muffin like batter. Fold in the chocolate chips (and 1/4 cup chopped nuts if using). ( If omitting the chia seeds from the wet, you will need a bit more flour to get the thick batter).
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle 1 tbsp chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 365 degrees F (190 deg C) for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean from the center. (baking time will depend on the moisture content of the zucchini and the batter) . For a gluten-free bread, see GF Zucchini Loaf