Vegan Gluten free Dinner Rolls with Garlic and Basil. Soft Puffy Gluten-free Dinner Rolls with fresh basil and garlic. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe
Gluten-free breads are an enigma. They might not rise, if they rise, they might be dry.. if they are soft and moist, they might not taste good. The taste part though is just about getting used to it.
For eg, I would rather make this chickpea flour cake instead of multiple flour gf rolls. I know chickpea flour, I like the taste and texture and the cake is moist, and generally has better success rate :). For regular dinner rolls, the rolls do much better when you steam it. You can steam these rolls in a steamer, or bake them covered so they get steamed while baking. The bread is best served fresh and warm. To make ahead, you can make the dough and refrigerate. Let it come to room temperature, then shape into rolls and proceed with the recipe. If you make these let me know how you like them. More gluten-free bread options listed below.
More gluten-free Vegan Breads from the blog
Mix the dough and let it sit for 20 minutes. shape into small rolls and place in greased pan.
Let the rolls rise for 20 minutes. Brush olive oil liberally and sprinkle garlic and basil on the rolls. Let them rise for a few more minutes, until atleast 1.5 times the original size. Cover with a parchment and bake.
Cool for 10 minutes then remove from the pan. Brush or spray melted vegan butter or olive oil. Serve warm with vegan butter.
- 1 cup Oat flour (use certified gluten-free if needed)
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca starch
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp sugar or maple
- 2¼ tsp active yeast or 1 packet
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons non dairy yogurt brought to room temperature(or use apple sauce or sweet potato puree)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- In a bowl whisk all the dry ingredients for the bread and keep aside.
- In another bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar and let it sit until frothy. 5 minutes. Add the flax and mix in. Let it sit for a minute.
- Add the dry to the wet. Add in the yogurt and oil and mix well. The mix will be sticky stiff batter like dough. Let the sticky dough sit covered for 20 minutes.
- Grease or line an 8 inch cake pan or pie pan. Using flour or oil on your hands shape the dough into small (1.5 inch or more) balls and place them ½ inch apart in the pan.
- Spray water liberally on the balls and let it sit for 10 minutes. Spray or brush olive oil liberally on the rolls. Sprinkle garlic and basil. Cover and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes near the warming oven. Let the rolls increase in size to atleast 1.5 times the original. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover the pan lightly with parchment or place a foil on top (important to cover the pan to capture steam). Bake for 24 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the rolls sit partially covered for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve with vegan butter. You can brush additinal vegan butter or olive oil on the rolls before serving.
To steam the rolls, place rolls in a pan that fits the steamer. Steam for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 mins and serve.
Variation: for higher rise, add ½ tsp xanthan gum to the dry ingredients.