I was planning on resting yesterday and make more recipes for the cookbook. but there is just so much energy in the air about the game! Sea.. HAWKS! all over the news, on the buildings, on the roads.
So here is one last minute Superbowl menu addition! Spicy, sweet, cauliflower wings, a cross between buffalo wings and cocktail meatballs. With mango preserves, orange juice and loads of Sriracha! You can use any other jam or preserves and make a glaze. The cauliflower is covered in thick batter and baked, then tossed in glaze and served. Use gluten-free flour for a gf batter(a combination of Oat flour, rice flour, sorghum flour). Easily made oil-free as well. Happy Chinese new year too!
I cannot stress enough about how vegan food is just food. It is just good awesome food! This is just cauliflower, awesome sauce and addictive. It uses common ingredients and is ready with 20 minutes active time in the kitchen.
What are your plans for the game!
Cut the cauliflower into pieces. Prep the batter.
Dip cauliflower in the batter and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at preheated 450 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the ingredients under glaze in a large pan. Mix, taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang.
Add the baked cauliflower florets to it and heat on medium heat for 3 minutes to coat the cauliflower.
- 1 head of cauliflower mine was small-medium-ish size
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour (I used half whole wheat + half white , (use 1/2 cup chickpea flour + 1/4 cup or more rice flour to make gf)
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, chili powder/cayenne
- a very generous dash of black pepper
- 2 tsp oil optional
- 1 cup mango jam or preserves or use orange marmalade or grape jelly for variations
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce or to taste 🙂
- 1 Tbsp or more hot sauce or to taste I used Frank's red hot
- 1/4 cup Orange juice or apple juice more juice if you like a thinner glaze
- a generous pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F / 230ºc. Chop the cauliflower into 1.5-2 inch pieces. Mix everything under batter in a bowl until smooth and thick enough batter that can coat the cauliflower pieces well.(add more flour if needed). Dip cauliflower in the batter and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Line the sheet with parchment or grease very well. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, mix all the ingredients under glaze and heat on medium. Taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang if needed(add sugar or vinegar for extra sweet or tang). You can also use fresh or frozen ripe mango puree + maple/sugar instead of preserves(as suggested by some readers who made these already). Once the glaze is hot, taste and adjust spice + sweet. add the baked cauliflower to it. Toss well to coat carefully and let the glaze come to a boil. 1-2 minutes. You can use a large pan that can fit all the florets or do 2 batches. do not toss/move the florets too much. Remove from pan and Serve hot as is, or with rice/grains or with any creamy cool dips like vegan ranch. Alternatively, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over the baked cauliflower, mix to coat and serve.
Variations: Use grape jelly or Orange preserves. Add a 1/4 cup ketchup to the glaze.
Use Barbecue sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
To make buffalo wings, mix in enough hot sauce with melted vegan butter or oil (2:1 ratio) and toss the baked cauliflower in it, bake for a few minutes and serve.
Nutritional values based on one serving
And here are 16 more ideas for a fabulous Superbowl party. All Tried, tested and loved! Go Seahawks!!!
Jalapeno Popper Dip and Havarti Dip GF, made with cashews and beans.
Jalapeno Poppers! Baked.
Mozzarella Sticks with Cashew Mozzarella! Baked or fried GF option
Sliders, Sandwiches and Wraps
this 10 minute Taco Spice White Bean Quesadilla. Easily GF
Lentil Cauliflower Burger with chipotle mayp and GF Onion rings. Because no round up is complete without this one 🙂
Black Bean, Parsley chimichurri, spinach wrap. Make this into a quesadilla!
You can pretty much dip chips in this casserole. Nacho Mac n cheese Casserole with Tempeh meat.
Baked Fries GF
these Tiramisu Cheesecake Brownie. GF nut-free
or these favorite fudgy Brownies. Insanely awesome!