This Red Lentil Granola with Coconut and Cranberries is different, crunchy and full of protein and easy! Vegan Gluten-free, nut-free, palm oil free recipe.
You thought I would leave lentils alone for a while right. Not happening any time soon!
Make this red lentil granola for the added crunchy protein. No nuts, no grains! A simple granola with simple flavors
You can add some seeds or nuts for additional texture. This is the sweet version. To make a savory version, add only 1 tsp sugar and add salt, garam masala and kala namak. Serve the savory granola as is as a snack, or use as garnish with soups and salads.
Red lentils that cook quickly work best. Red lentils are basically split brown lentils that have also been skinned (dehusked).
Who is ready for the weekend! I sure am. This whole book thing is such an unfamiliar territory. Its been more than 10 years since I worked with people, in a team, on a project I am passionate about, or any which way really. Now I have to learn to trust people again, not micro manage, not take stress and learn to let go. I can hear hubbs quietly laughing when he reads this post.
More granola from the blog.
- SOUR CREAM & ONION HEMP MILLET CRUNCH SNACK/GRANOLA
- VERY BERRY GRANOLA
- SRIRACHA QUINOA MILLET CRANBERRY ORANGE PEANUT GRANOLA. I need to make this again!
Cook the lentils until a tad more than al dente. Drain and spread on parchment. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and mix, Spray oil and bake for 20 minutes.
Move the lentils around, add more sugar and bake until crunchy.
Red Lentil Granola with Coconut and Cranberries
- 1/2 cup (90 g) uncooked red lentils washed, drained and picked for stones
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil
- 1.5 Tbsp ground sugar divided
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (20 g) shredded coconut
- 3 to 4 tablespoons dried cranberries or use other dried fruit or raisins
- oil as needed
- In a pan, add the washed lentils, water and 1/2 tsp oil and cook at medium heat. The water will come to a boil and continue to bubble. Stir once or twice in between to ensure the lentils cook evenly. Take off heat as soon as the lentils start fraying or feel tender in the middle. 8 to 9 minutes. check a few lentils to be sure.
- Drain excess water, rinse and drain for 2 minutes. Squeeze them lightly in a paper towel if too wet. They should be moist so they can hold the sweet and spices, but not wet.
- Pre-heat the oven to 320 degrees F / 160ºc. Transfer the lentils to parchment lined baking sheet. Add 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of ground sugar, salt, cinnamon and mix in. (Use less sugar if you like your granola less sweet). Add in the vanilla extract and mix. Spread the lentils to a thin layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add another 1/2 Tbsp sugar, mix into the lentils and move them around, spray oil on the lentils and turn the tray. Bake 15 minutes or longer. Check to see if most of the lentils are crisp. If the lentils start to brown too quickly, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F / 150ºc.
- Add coconut and cranberries, spray oil and mix in and bake for 5 minutes or longer till the lentils are crisp. they should be crisp, light and crunchy. Cool completely before storing. Serve as you would serve other granola. Goes well with non dairy yogurt. or make granola bars.