Turmeric Lassi – Golden Yogurt Drink. Lassi is a yogurt based drink served as a beverage in India. This version uses non dairy yogurt, turmeric, black pepper and ginger for a cooling Lassi. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe.
Lassi is a favorite drink in many Indian (north Indian) homes during the hot months. It is starting to get sunny and warm finally in the Pacific Northwest, and evening tea is getting replaced by various lassis.
Lassi traditionally is made with fresh yogurt and chilled water. Yogurt, water, and sweetener are whisked with a Mathani (Indian whisk which works like an Immersion blender), until the mixture is very frothy. It is served in tall glasses with ice cubes. Flavors such as cardamom, saffron, chai masala, mint, ripe mango puree, rose water etc can be added. Probiotics, cooling and filling.
For this Turmeric Lassi, I use a regular blender and plain non dairy yogurt(I like almond milk yogurt). The yogurt is blended with turmeric, black pepper, ginger and frozen almond milk cubes. The resulting lassi has a texture between a smooth yogurt lassi and crushed ice shake. Add whatever flavors you like or blend with just non dairy milk for variations. Make the golden Lassi!
More drinks from the blog
- Pumpkin Spice Trumeric Latte
- Turmeric Iced Masala Tea
- Hazelnut macchiato
- Pumpkin spice Caramel Latte
- Vegan Eggnog
Turmeric Lassi - Golden Yogurt Drink
- 1 cup (245 ml) plain non dairy yogurt
- 1 cup (226 ml) almond milk or coconut milk frozen into cubes 1 heaping cup cubes
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) or more turmeric
- a good dash of black pepper
- a good pinch of cayenne
- a pinch of salt optional
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) or more sweetener sugar, maple, coconut sugar etc
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) candied ginger or 1/2 tsp fresh peeled ginger
- Add everything to the blender, Blend for a minute until smooth. Taste and adjust sweet and blend for 15 seconds. Pour into serving glasses. Add ice cubes if needed.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and pepper to garnish or top with some whipped coconut cream. Serve immediately.