Instant Pot Aloo Palak Dal. Spiced Potato Spinach Lentils made in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Saucepan option. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Whenever I have loads of greens to use up, I make Indian Subzi (vegetable side) with them in combination with potatoes, or just plain ginger and garlic. This veggie subzi is like my skillet Aloo Palak, with added lentils to make it into a meal.
The meal comes together quickly and then its a wait for the pressure to release. Make it in an Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker or a Saucepan. Use sweet potatoes, cauliflower or other hearty vegetables, use cooked chickpeas instead of lentils. Use a combination of greens such as chard, arugula, mustard greens etc. Add some coconut milk for creamier curry. Add more spinach of greens for a Dal Saag Aloo. So many variations and options! Serve it as a stew or with rice or flatbread.
Served above with Rotis- Indian flatbread made in Rotimatic, which is a machine that makes Rotis with one button. Add flour, water, oil, set preferences and press start. Read my experience with the machine here.
More Easy Indian Meals
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF
- Mushroom Matar Masala GF
- Bombay Potato and Peas GF
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Saag Tofu GF
If you try this Potato Spinach Lentil curry, let me know in the comments how it turned out!
Instant Pot Aloo Palak Dal - Spiced Potato Spinach Lentils
- 1/3 cup (64 g) uncooked brown lentils (sabut masoor)
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1 hot green chile chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cardamom
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 5 to 6 oz Spinach or a combination of greens.
- Soak the lentils for at least an hour else they will not cook within the time and the potatoes will get over cooked in the more time needed to cook lentils.
- In saute mode over medium, add oil, ginger, garlic, chile and cook until translucent. Add tomato and spices and cook until tomatoes are tender. Mash the larger pieces. 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, drained lentils, water, salt and mix in. Add in the spinach or greens and mix in. Close the lid and cook on Manual (high pressure) for 7 to 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open, taste and adjust salt and spice. Add more spices or garam masala if needed. Garnish with cilantro, pepper flakes and lemon and serve over rice or with roti/flatbread.
Adjust water to make less or more curry.
Add half coconut milk instead of water for a creamier curry.