Instant Pot Lentil Mushroom Stew with Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes. 1 Pot 30 Minute. Upside down Lentil Shepherds Pie! Vegan Glutenfee Nutfree Soyfree Recipe Stovetop option Jump to Recipe
If you all loved the Mushroom Bourguignon, you’ll love this easy lentil mushroom stew too. Similar ingredients, process to use just 1 Pot, and just 15 mins active time! Serve it as Upside down Lentil Shepherd’s pie! It is Much easier in the instant pot. No baking required.
You can bake if you wish. Spread the cooked lentil mixture in a baking dish, top with mashed sweet potato or potato, then top with minced garlic, olive oil, herbs and breadcrumbs. Bake at 425 def F for 15 mins to heat up and brown the top and done! The stew and the mashed potatoes can be made ahead, so assemble, top and bake the day of.
Change up the herbs to preference. Use potatoes or cauliflower or celeriac or combination instead of sweet potatoes in the veggie mash. Use flour for thickening the stew if needed, or just blend up a portion of the stew. Lots of options! Stove top instructions in the recipe notes.
This Lentil Stew is Easy, 1 Pot, Make ahead, Freezer friendly, and uses Pot in pot (PIP) in the Instant Pot. Short Active time and all the flavor like lentil shepherds pie!
More 1 Pot Holiday Meals
- IP Lentil Chili. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- IP Potato Chickpea Soup. GF
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Other mains to try
- Lentil Quinoa Loaf can be SF,NF and GF
- Mushroom Lentil Shepherd’s Pie. NF, GF, SF option
- Mushroom Bourguignon GF NF
- Marinated Portobello Mushrooms with Garlic Sauce. GF , NF option
- Vegan Lentil Mushroom Walnut Wellington.
Tips to cook flavorful stews in the Instant Pot.
- You want to use less liquid when pressure cooking as the moisture doesnt evaporate out like in a saucepan. You can add more broth later while simmering after pressure cooking
- It is ok if some of the liquid from the stew comes into the steamer. More flavor in the mash1!
- Change up the fresh herbs for variation
- This recipe is easily doubled, with or without the pip, with or without sweet potato. Just add 2 more mins of cooking time when doubling.
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Mushroom Stew with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Lentil Mushroom Stew:
- 1 tsp oil , or 1/4 cup broth
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 10 oz of sliced mushroom (mix of cremini, white and portabello)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine (or whiskey or 1 tbsp balsamic + 1 tbsp soy sauce/coconut aminos for soy free)
- 3/4 cups (96 g) sliced carrots , or other veggies such as zucchini, celery, or a mix
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground sage
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup (144 g) uncooked brown lentils
- 2 tsp (1 tsp) tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water or veggie broth
Sweet potato mash:
- 12 oz cubed sweet potato (2 medium sweet potatoes), or use regular potatoes
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- (NaN ) black pepper, dried/fresh thyme to taste , additional flavors: chives, chopped parsely
- Start the instant pot on sauté. Add oil, when hot add onion and garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes, add the wine and mix well and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Cancel sauté, add the carrots, dry lentils, salt, herbs, tomato paste, water or broth and give it a good mix. (additional flavors: add 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary or dried oregano. Add a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce)
- Place a steamer basket over the lentil mixture and add cubed sweet potato to the basket. Close the lid. Pressure cook for 11-14 minutes, longer for older, green lentils (Stove top instructions in the notes).
- Let pressure release naturally. Open the lid, remove the steamer basket. Transfer the steamed sweet potatoes to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the salt, garlic, thyme, pepper and extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Taste and adjust the flavor if needed. (If using regular potatoes, add a few tbsp of non dairy milk)
- Taste and adjust the lentil stew in the instant pot and add salt if needed, add a good dash of black pepper. You can also fold in some baby spinach and 1/3 cup green peas at this point.
- Serve the stew over mashed sweet potatoes. Garnish with fresh herbs and black pepper. You can also add toasted breadcrumbs and olive oil garnish.