Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower with fresh herbs and black pepper. Tips on how to roast veggies that are perfectly crisp, vibrant, flavorful, not-dry or chewy. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
Roasted Veggies make a great addition to any bowl, a side to a meal or just a light meal by themselves! There is more to roasting than just tossing in oil, salt and pepper. Roasted vegetables can turn out bland, overly roasted with chewy edges, under roasted, can get crinkly/dry and not enjoyable.
This is how I roast veggies like Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. I use a stoneware baking dish. This allows for even heat distribution and less charring chewyness. Cover the dish for some portion of the bake time. This reduces the moisture loss during baking which is especially helpful when using less oil or no oil. Moisture loss can dry out the veggies making them feel dry and chewy. Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, minced garlic and freshly ground black pepper, large pepper flakes preferably, and a good amount adds just the perfect flavor! Serve with just some lemon juice + pepper or gravy or my garlic sauce.
More tips below on how to roast these veggies for the perfect crisp as well as keeping them vibrant and hearty. If you try this recipe, do let me know how it worked out. Got more tips for roasting? do share!
More veggie bowls from the blog
- Cajun Roasted Veggie Bowl with Garlic Sauce. GF SF
- Peanut Butter Roasted Cauliflower Bowl. GF
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa GF
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl GF
- Spanish Rice, Taco Spice Roasted Cauliflower Bowl. GF
- Chili Garlic Tofu Bowl with Vermicelli. GF
- BBQ Tofu and Veggie Bowl. GF
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower
- 1 lb (453.59 g) brussels sprouts
- 1/2 (0.5 ) head of cauliflower , chopped into small/medium florets
- 3 carrots , chopped into 1/2-3/4 inch slices
- 1 small zucchini , sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tsp oil , neutral oil
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt , or to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) freshly ground black pepper , large flakes if possible
- Preheat the oven to 425 deg F ( 220 C). Chop the veggies and add to a bowl. (You can add more seasonal veggies such as sweet potatoes, butternut, fennel, kohlrabi etc. Add more salt, herbs, garlic, pepper depending on volume).
- Add oil and toss well to coat. Add the salt, herbs and black pepper and toss well to coat.
- Transfer to a stoneware baking dish. Cover the dish with parchment and bake for 15 mins, Then remove parchment, move the veggies around and continue to bake for 20 to 25 mins or until the veggies are roasted and tender to preference.