Broccoli Stir fry with Indian Spices – Broccoli Sabji / Subzi with mustard seeds, coriander, fenugreek, turmeric and cinnamon. 1 pot, 20 mins.Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free South Indian Fusion Broccoli Recipe. Serve as a side, or with dal, or fill up a taco or wrap.
Its always fun to find more ways to incorporate veggies into everyday meals. Certain veggies are easy to fit into stir fries, roasted, sauces, curries or other preparations, while others not so much.
I keep trying to find ways to like Broccoli and I like it when it is not raw or blanched or in a big tree form 🙂 Whether you have preferences like me or not, you will love this South Indian Style Shredded Broccoli Stir fry with mustard seeds, coconut and a great blend of spices. Broccoli is processed in a food processor to a coarse shred. Whole spices are tempered in hot oil, then onions caramelized with some ground spices, then broccoli and coconut mixed in and steamed. Serve as a side with Dals or Indian curries or an Indian spread, or make wraps or burrito with this broccoli with some spiced chickpeas or other beans. The shredded broccoli is somewhat like broccoli rice, but spiced to get an amazing flavor profile.
Served above with some garam masala or sambhar masala spiced chickpeas.
More broccoli recipes from the blog
- Cheesy Broccoli Balls with Marinara
- Sweet and Sour Chickpeas and Broccoli GF
- Roasted Broccoli with basil cashew dressing GF
- Broccoli Chickpea Flatbread Paratha
- Creamy Broccoli Soup. GF
- Chipotle Broccoli Chickpea Fritters. GF
- Broccoli Zunka – Broccoli Stir fry with Chickpea flour and spices. GF
Broccoli Stir fry with Indian Spices - Broccoli Sabji
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard seeds
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) fenugreek seed powder or crushed fenugreek seeds or use 1 tsp sambhar masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne less if using sambhar masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 3 cups (273 g) coarsely shredded broccoli and tender stems or slaw
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green chile finely chopped (grated) optional
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut + additional for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mustard seeds and let them start to pop.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent. about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the ground spices. Mix in and cook for a minute.
- Add the broccoli and salt and toss well. At this point you can also add in other veggies like peas , shredded carrots, small cubed sweet potato etc.
- Add coconut and a splash of water, cover and cook for 6 minutes. The broccoli will get steamed and vibrant (green and yellow from the turmeric). Mix well, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add a dash of lemon. Depending on the size of the broccoli, pan etc, you can cook it for another few minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon, as a side with dal or fill up tacos or wraps. Garnish with some shredded coconut, pepper flakes and cilantro.