Easy Creamy Vegan Mushroom Lasagna. Marinated and baked Portobello mushrooms, creamy garlic sauce, spinach and lasagna sheets layered to make a hearty portobello lasagna. Vegan Recipe, Can be Gluten-free Nut-free Jump to Recipe
Its been a while since I changed up my lasagna. You all love the Baked Portabella mushrooms with garlic sauce, so I put them in a lasagna!
Mushrooms are marinated in a garlic, balsamic, soy marinade then baked, Meanwhile blend the garlic sauce and keep ready. Assemble the rest of the ingredients. Then start layering! Garlic white sauce, noodles, mushrooms, sauce, noodles, a layer of spinach and tofu ricotta, noodles and repeat. Top with vegan parmesan or vegan cheese and bake. Once baked, drizzle olive oil on top and add fresh herbs, slice and serve.
For a quick meal, you can bake the portobello mushrooms until done, heat the garlic sauce to thicken then toss cooked pasta (fettuccine or penne) and fold in half of the sliced mushrooms and serve the rest on the side. Fold in some baby spinach when the sauce is simmering.
More Lasagnas from the blog
- Vegan Veggie Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Cauliflower Alfredo Spinach Artichoke Lasagna. Vegan…
- Lasagna Bolognese
- Lasagna Grilled Cheese. Nut-free Soy-free Vegan Recipe
- Vegan Chickpea Noodles with Garlic Tomato Sauce
- Lasagna Bechamel
Step by Step Photos
Mix the marinade for the mushrooms. Drizzle over mushrooms and bake.
Blend the garlic sauce ingredients until smooth.
Start layering with garlic sauce, noodles, mushrooms, sauce, noodles, spinach, ricotta, noodles, sauce and repeat.
Top with vegan parm or vegan cheese, cover and bake.
How to make this Creamy Mushroom lasagna without Nuts
- Use my nutfree Cauliflower Alfredo or Pumpkin Alfredo instead of this nutty garlic white sauce. You might need a double serving.
- You can also use a my bechamel style flour sauce
- Definitely add some tofu ricotta or other vegan cheese between the layers as the nutfree sauces reduce in volume while baking.
- Add a layer of marinara and roasted veggies for a hearty Spinach mushroom lasagna.
- No Boil noodles tend to absorb a lot of moisture during cooking and can sometimes dry the lasagna out sooner. Soak them in hot water for 2-3 mins, then use for less drying out.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce , tamari for glutenfree, or use coconut aminos +wine for soyfree
- 2 tsp herbs ( combination of thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each garlic powder , onion powder (or use 1 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire , or use red wine for soyfree
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 3 portobello mushrooms (about 10 oz)
Creamy Garlic Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cup (161.25 g) raw cashews , soaked for an hour for creamier, see note for nutfree
- 1.75 cups (437.5 ml) water
- 1.5 tbsp flour (rice flour for glutenfree)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 ) ground mustard or miso or both
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) black pepper
- 1.5 tsp herbs (1/2 tsp each of basil,thyme, ground sage)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 12 no boil lasagna noodles ***, glutenfree noodles for glutenfree
- 4 oz baby spinach , wilted on a skillet with 2 tbsp water if fresh, thawed if frozen
- vegan parm , breadcrumbs, vegan cheese for topping
- Mix the mushroom marinade ingredients minus the water in a bowl. Place the whole mushrooms* in the lasagna baking dish. Drizzle the marinade all over the mushrooms. Use 1/4 cup of water or broth to rinse out the marinade bowl and our on the sides of the mushrooms.
- Bake the mushrooms covered at 400 deg F (205 C) for 20 mins. Remove the mushrooms from the dish. Slice into 1/4 inch or less width, and set aside. Leave the juices in the dish.
- Blend the garlic sauce ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Assemble: Add a ladleful of garlic sauce in the dish. Add a layer of noodles.
- Then drizzle garlic sauce on the noodles, arrange sliced mushrooms on top, drizzle some sauce over the mushrooms, then add a layer of noodles.
- Spread the sauce on the noodles, then add wilted (if fresh) or thawed spinach (if frozen). Sprinkle some red pepper flakes and a good pinch of salt over the spinach. Add some tofu ricotta** or drizzle some garlic sauce over the spinach.
- Then another layer of noodles and sauce, mushrooms, noodles, and remaining sauce. Sprinkle some vegan parm all over or vegan mozzarella cheese shreds. (I use a mix of 3 tbsp breadcrumbs+ 3 tbsp vegan parm). Rinse out the garlic sauce blender/bowl with 1/2 cup water and pour on the sides of the lasagna dish. (Use 1 tbsp water if using precooked lasagna noodles.)
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375 deg F (170C ) for 1 hour. Let it sit for 10 mins, then uncover. Sprinkle more vegan parmesan, extra virgin olive oil, herbs and pepper flakes. Then slice and serve. Store refrigerated for upto 4 days.