This Curry Fried Rice is packed full of flavor. Easy to make and gluten free. Use other cooked grains, spice blends for variation. 1 Pot 20 Mins. A perfect golden fried rice side or a light meal. Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Versions of this Curry fried rice are often light dinners on the weekend. Use up any leftover cooked rice or grains, any leftover veggies in the fridge. Spice up the veggies, add the rice and toss well. Garnish and done. Add some baked tofu or chickpeas for a hearty meal, or serve as a side with curries and stir fries.
This golden fried rice is Easy, Delicious, versatile and quick. Use spice blends such as curry powder, garam masala, jamaican curry blend, cajun, berbere and baharat (all of these can be found in my Everyday Kitchen book).
Lets make this!
If you are looking for more rice/grain dishes, be sure to check out these recipes:
- Turmeric Lemon Rice
- Vegetable Carrot Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Rice Pulao
- Masala Fried Rice with Turmeric Onion Raita
- Peanut Sauce Fried Rice
Curry Fried Rice -1 Pot 20 Mins
- 2 cups (316 g) cooked cooled rice , Or 3/4 cup uncooked rice, see notes for cooking instructions.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger optional
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green pepper chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red bell pepper chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup (64 g) carrots sliced
- 1/3 cup (48.33 g) or more peas
- 1 tbsp or more curry powder or 1 tsp turmeric + 1 tsp coriander powder+ 1 tsp garam masala, or use berbere or jamaican curry blend
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt or to taste
- lime or lemon juice to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, serrano pepper and a dash of salt. Cook until translucent. 2 mins. Add the ginger, garlic and mix well.Cook for a minute.
- Add the peppers, zuzzhini and carrots and a dash of salt. Cook for 2 minutes. Then mix, cover and cook for another 2 mins or until al dente. Add the peas and curry powder or other spices and mix in. (At this point you can also add in yellow or red curry paste for variation and cook for a minute. You can also add in some chickpeas or baked/crisped tofu at this point to make it into a meal. )
- Add the rice and salt and toss well. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Add more spices as needed. Add a dash of cayenne and some lime/lemon juice and mix in. (Variation: add in some roasted nuts and mix in)
- Cover and cook for 2 mins. Then let sit covered for another 2-3 mins for the flavors to develop.
- Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice. Serve with chutneys or dips or as a side with curries or stir fries.