Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup with Quinoa, walnuts, mushrooms. Pressure Cooker Bean-free Vegan Quinoa Chili with Homemade enchilada seasoning. Saucepan Option. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe. Soyfree Nutfree Oilfree option. Jump to Recipe
The cold weather calls for bowls full of comforting soups and sometimes I like them to be bean-free. You know age and all ;). Enter this Quinoa Walnut Veggie soup!
Quinoa, mushrooms, walnuts, optional soy curls or beans/lentils all go into a pressure cooker with some enchilada seasoning, which is a dry enchilada sauce mix with various spices and chilies. Add some broth/stock and done! The quinoa and walnut add amazing texture to this thick soup which is more like a enchilada filling. You can use it to fill up burritos and top nachos too. If you add a bit more broth and some cooked beans, it makes a great Quinoa chili! Serve with toppings of choice.
This savory, warming, flavorful bowl is a perfect quick weeknight meal. Saucepan instructions in the notes. Can be made without walnuts. Lets make some!!
More warming Soups and stews from the blog
- IP Lentil Chili. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- IP Potato Chickpea Soup. GF
- Tomato Soup with Tofu Croutons.
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
This was a hard one to name :). I started off with a chikin enchilada soup, veganizing it with soy curls, quinoa instead of beans, making my own seasoning which is so much more flavorful, wanting more texture, so walnuts. So it is somewhere in between the soup and quinoa chili. What would you call this delicious bowl?
Tips to make a flavorful thick soup in a Pressure Cooker
- Pressure cooking the mushroom onion mixture with less liquid volume, causes them to caramelize. Cooking under pressure works that way if there isnt too much dilution in terms of liquid and other ingredients.
- If using more added ingredients such as lentils, or using more liquid, cook the mushroom mixture for a few mins on saute before proceeding to the next step.
- To Double, Double everything except water/broth. Use 2.5 cups. The cooking time will be the same. If tripling, then add 2 more mins to the cooking time. With the triple amounts, also cook the mushrooms longer on saute.
If you make this recipe, do let me know in the comments below, add a rating with the comment and tag me on Instagram #veganricha.
Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup - Stovetop Option
- 1 tsp oil , Or use 3 tbsp broth to saute
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion , chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 6 oz (170.1 g) mushrooms , a combination or white, cremini or other)
- 1/3 cup (39 g) walnuts
- 1/2 - 1 (1/2 to 1 ) jalapeno chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp or more enchilada seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 cup (42.5 g) dry quinoa
- 2 oz soy curls (optional)
- 1/3 cup (51.33 g) corn
- 1 cup (245 g) tomato sauce or puree
- 1.5 cups (352.5 ml) veggie broth or vegan chikin flavored broth or water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt (slightly less if the broth is salted)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of chipotle pepper powder , ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder.
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) smoked paprika or a mix of sweet & smoked, as all smoked can be hot
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- dashes of black pepper cayenne, thyme (optional)
- Start the instant pot on sauté. Add oil/broth. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, pulse the walnuts in a processor until they form a coarse mixture. Add mushrooms and pulse again until the mushrooms are chopped.
- Add the mushroom and walnut mixture to the pot and mix in for a min. Add the jalapeño and peppers and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the spices, quinoa (or quinoa + soy curls)**, corn, salt, tomato sauce, broth and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally. Taste and adjust the salt, heat or flavor and mix in.
- Garnish with vegan sour cream, lemon juice, cilantro, jalapeño or pickled jalapeño, and/or hot sauce. Serve with pumpkin cornbread.
- Saucepan: Follow steps 1,2 in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the mushroom mixture for 3-4 mins before adding peppers. Follow step 3, Add 1/2 cup more broth and partially cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor, liquid content and check the quinoa for doneness. Uncover and simmer over low for 10 to 15 mins.