Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup with Quinoa, walnuts, mushrooms. Pressure Cooker Bean-free Vegan Quinoa Chili with Homemade enchilada seasoning. Saucepan Option. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe. Soyfree Nutfree Oilfree option. Jump to Recipe
The cold weather calls for bowls full of comforting soups and sometimes I like them to be bean-free. You know age and all ;). Enter this Quinoa Walnut Veggie soup!
Quinoa, mushrooms, walnuts, optional soy curls or beans/lentils all go into a pressure cooker with some enchilada seasoning, which is a dry enchilada sauce mix with various spices and chilies. Add some broth/stock and done! The quinoa and walnut add amazing texture to this thick soup which is more like a enchilada filling. You can use it to fill up burritos and top nachos too. If you add a bit more broth and some cooked beans, it makes a great Quinoa chili! Serve with toppings of choice.
This savory, warming, flavorful bowl is a perfect quick weeknight meal. Saucepan instructions in the notes. Can be made without walnuts. Lets make some!!
More warming Soups and stews from the blog
- IP Lentil Chili. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- IP Potato Chickpea Soup. GF
- Tomato Soup with Tofu Croutons.
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
This was a hard one to name :). I started off with a chikin enchilada soup, veganizing it with soy curls, quinoa instead of beans, making my own seasoning which is so much more flavorful, wanting more texture, so walnuts. So it is somewhere in between the soup and quinoa chili. What would you call this delicious bowl?
Tips to make a flavorful thick soup in a Pressure Cooker
- Pressure cooking the mushroom onion mixture with less liquid volume, causes them to caramelize. Cooking under pressure works that way if there isnt too much dilution in terms of liquid and other ingredients.
- If using more added ingredients such as lentils, or using more liquid, cook the mushroom mixture for a few mins on saute before proceeding to the next step.
- To Double, Double everything except water/broth. Use 2.5 cups. The cooking time will be the same. If tripling, then add 2 more mins to the cooking time. With the triple amounts, also cook the mushrooms longer on saute.
If you make this recipe, do let me know in the comments below, add a rating with the comment and tag me on Instagram #veganricha.
Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup - Stovetop Option
- 1 tsp oil , Or use 3 tbsp broth to saute
- 1/2 (0.5) medium onion , chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 6 oz (170.1 g) mushrooms , a combination or white, cremini or other)
- 1/3 cup (39 g) walnuts
- 1/2 - 1 (1/2 to 1) jalapeno chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 (0.5) red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp or more enchilada seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 cup (42.5 g) dry quinoa
- 2 oz soy curls (optional)
- 1/3 cup (51.33 g) corn
- 1 cup (245 g) tomato sauce or puree
- 1.5 cups (352.5 ml) veggie broth or vegan chikin flavored broth or water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt (slightly less if the broth is salted)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of chipotle pepper powder , ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder.
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) smoked paprika or a mix of sweet & smoked, as all smoked can be hot
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- dashes of black pepper cayenne, thyme (optional)
- Start the instant pot on sauté. Add oil/broth. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, pulse the walnuts in a processor until they form a coarse mixture. Add mushrooms and pulse again until the mushrooms are chopped.
- Add the mushroom and walnut mixture to the pot and mix in for a min. Add the jalapeño and peppers and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the spices, quinoa (or quinoa + soy curls)**, corn, salt, tomato sauce, broth and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally. Taste and adjust the salt, heat or flavor and mix in.
- Garnish with vegan sour cream, lemon juice, cilantro, jalapeño or pickled jalapeño, and/or hot sauce. Serve with pumpkin cornbread.
- Saucepan: Follow steps 1,2 in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the mushroom mixture for 3-4 mins before adding peppers. Follow step 3, Add 1/2 cup more broth and partially cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor, liquid content and check the quinoa for doneness. Uncover and simmer over low for 10 to 15 mins.
I am searching in your recipes exclusively lately because I love your blend of flavors. I did not have the mushrooms and my husband wants to stay away from all fats including nuts, but this recipe tasted great despite the exclusions and substitutions. We had it with chickpeas and other vegetables. My husband definitely wants me to make this again!
Vegan Richa Support
yay! so glad it was a hit!
I previously had thought that your wild rice mushroom soup was the best soup I had ever had, but I think this one is even better. The cinnamon knocks it out of this world. I added the lentils as suggested. I served it over macaroni noodles. Just delicious. Will make again and again.
Fantastic recipe! Super simple and delicious. I’ve made this several times now because it taste so good and my non-vegan father-in-law loves it!
I have made this recipe countless times and everytime it has turned out fantastic! I always add black beans (extra) and skip out on the mushrooms depending on who I am cooking for. It’s super filling and can be topped with so many different toppings such as sour cream, tortilla, guac, salsa and the list goes on…
This recipe is superior to any other chili/tortilla soup recipe.
Sooo good!! I left out the cinnamon (not a fan of sweet chili), used an entire 15 oz of canned corn, and added whole wheat noodles after cooking to make a chili mac. Also swapped out salt for a few dashes of braggs liquid aminos and some nutritional yeast for that extra savory flavor. Will definitely be making this again. Keep the IP recipes coming!!
Made this tonight and it was absolutely amazing!!! I did add the green Lentils, Quinoa and beans and it was great! The spice was just right too. Thank you!
I have some leftover green enchiladas sauce . Can i use that in this recipe instead of the enchiladas seasoning? Also , where can I buy the enchiladas seasoning?
yes see notes on how much sauce to use.
Enchilada seasoning is right there inthe recipe. You just mix the listed herbs and spices under enchilada seasoning and measure and use.
Tried the recipe with the sauce and it turned out very good!! Are the spices /herbs available in any grocery store or only in Mexican stores
most are available in any store. If you cant find ancho or chipotle powder, use a chili blend
I’d love to try this recipe soon. I’m not familiar with soy curls?
you can get them on amazon or on butler.com website(butler is the brand of the soy urls) or use seitan or just leave them out.
This was not only yummy but was very helpful for diabetes. My hubby’s numbers were good two hours later. I did add more garlic and cumin. I also added some chopped avacado to one serving. Thank you!
My husband does not like quinoa. I saw that you said you could use rice instead but was wondering what you thought would be the best substitute: amaranth, buckwheat, teff, or sorghum? I’m not overly familiar with any of those yet but they are all in my pantry 🙂
rice, millet or buckwheat or amaranth might work. Sorghum takes much longer to cook. You want to use grains which have somewhat similar cooking times as quinoa.
This recipe was perfect! Soooo delicious! You knocked it out of the park with this one. Thank you!!!
i just made this last night after seeing it on your instagram and it is absolutely delicious! i don’t have an instant pot so i did the sauce pan version and it was flawless. i love the texture the processed walnuts and mushrooms give the chili 😍
This is crazy good! I really can’t think of any adjective that would describe this any better. I haven’t been disappointed with any recipe that I have tried. You are amazing!
yay! awesome! so glad you love it!
Could I substitute rice for the quinoa? Unfortunately quinoa gives me a terrible stomach ache. But everything else sounds so incredible! Thank you 😊
yes rice will work just fine, or use red lentils. They will work too.
Thank you for your response…same amount of rice/lentils as the amount of quinoa? Any other adjustments? I love your ziti with chipotle lentil sauce recipe!!
yes same amount. no adjustments needed
I need to double the recipe. Do I double the cooking time if using the Instant Pot?
no, same time. If you triple, then add 2-3 mins more
This looks absolutely awesome and everything you post, every recipe is a work of art.
Any recipe I have tried has been totally delicious!
I do so appreciate all of your hard work and all of your efforts. Take care…
Thank you Laura! <3 <3
I made this recipe last night in my Instant Pot, following these instructions exactly, with the soy curls.
It was SO good. Such a delicious, filling, easy weeknight meal. I didn’t put sour cream or anything on top, but I will probably do that if I ever make this recipe for guests. I’m sure it would go great with the suggested pumpkin cornbread – which is another favorite recipe in this house and something my partner requests regularly.
The only changes I made was that I threw in some spinach at the very end, and I used jarred red bell pepper instead of 1/2 of a fresh red bell pepper.