Instant Pot Indian Cabbage and Peas! Patta Gobi subzi. This Cabbage Curry is made in a pressure cooker. Quick Cabbage stir fry side. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Braised Cabbage Recipe. Jump to Recipe
This Easy Indian Cabbage stir fry is the perfect way to use up that head of cabbage sitting right there waiting to be used. Finely chopped or shredded cabbage, braised with a tempering of whole spices such as mustard seeds and flavored with garlic and turmeric. Just a few flavors meld into a delicious cabbage side that you can serve with flatbreads or rice and a side of curry or dal.
Change up the whole spices to cumin seeds, add some garam masala or add some coconut and ground coriander for variation. This Indian Cabbage and peas is made in an instant pot, so you don’t need to stand around and stir the cabbage every once in a while. Stove top option is in notes. Lets make this!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Indian Cabbage and Peas
- mustard seeds are toasted in a bit of oil to release their flavor. If you dont have whole mustard seeds, use 1/2 tsp ground mustard later with the ground spices
- hot green chili and garlic are the aromatics. Curry leaves also add an amazing flavor. You can get curry leaves from an Indian store or online on amazon.
- asafetida(hing) an indian spice is used for flavor as well as to make the cabbage more digestible. Asafetida is often mixed with wheat flours or starches while grinding, so it might not be gluten-free. For gluten-free asafetida, make sure to get one with rice flour or starch. It is optional in the recipe.
- turmeric for the gorgeous golden hue
- Finely chopped cabbage is mixed with the spices, salt and water.
- green peas and cilantro finish the dish
How to make Indian Cabbage and Peas in an Instant Pot and Step Pictures
Chop up the veggies and assemble ingredients. Heat instant pot on saute, the select “more”. Saute generally starts at normal temp. More will makeit slightly more hotter. Add oil and let it get hot.
Add the mustard seeds and let them start to change color and pop. Add in the garlic, curry leaves if using, green chile and asafetida if using. Mix well and cook for half to 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add turmeric and mix in. Switch off saute.
Add cabbage and salt and mix well. Add water and mix well. (you can add in some coconut, cayenne for extra heat)
Close lid and pressure cook on low pressure for 3 mins. Let the pot sit for 5 mins then quick release.
Mix in the peas and let sit for a minute. Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes, some lemon juice if you wish and serve with dals and flatbread or rice.
More Cabbage Recipes
- Atakilt Wat -Ethiopian cabbage, potatoes, carrots GF SF NF
- Indian Cabbage subzi GF SF NF
- Okonomiyaki -Cabbage veggie pancakes NF
More Indian Instant Pot Recipes
- IP Baingan Bharta- Eggplant Mash curry GF SF NF
- Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce GF SF , NF option
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Instant Pot Veggie Korma GF, Sf option NF optiton
- Black Eyed Peas Rice Pulao – GF SF, NF option
- Mushroom Masala – GF SF, NF option
Instant Pot Indian Cabbage and Peas (Patta Gobi Subzi)
- 1 teaspoon organic safflower oil or mustard or peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds (raee)
- 8 curry leaves , fresh, frozen or dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili or to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 cups (210 g) green cabbage finely chopped
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) peas , let the frozen peas sit outside to thaw while the cabbage cooks
- cilantro, pepper flakes for garnish
- Heat instant pot on saute, and select "more". Add oil and let it get hot.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them start to change color and pop. Add in the curry leaves, garlic, green chile and asafetida if using. Mix well and cook for half to 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric and mix in. Switch off saute.
- Add cabbage and salt and mix well. Add water and mix well. (you can add in 2 tbsp fresh or shredded coconut, cayenne for extra heat )
- Close lid and pressure cook on low pressure or 3 mins (4 mins if the cabbage wasnt finely chopped or has hardy leaves). Let the pot sit for 5 mins then quick release.
- Mix in the peas and let sit for a minute. Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes and some lemon juice if you like and serve with dals and flatbread or rice.
- Follow Steps 1 to 3 over medium high heat in a skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add the cabbage, salt and water, cover and cook for 5 mins, stir, add more water to deglaze if needed, then, cover, reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 8 to 10 mins or until cabbage is cooked to preference. Add in the peas and cook for another 2-3 mins. Garnish and serve.