Instant Pot Saag Aloo with Chard and Sweet Potatoes. Sweet Potato Chard/Spinach curry, ready in 25 mins. Serve this easy side with dals or curries or add to a bowl. Saucepan option. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe.
When Sweet Potatoes and Chard meet, you make Saag Aloo. Saag means greens or a dish made of greens, and Aloo is potatoes. I use Chard for the greens in this dish. Spinach, mustard or a mix with baby kale and other greens will work too. For the Aloo, I use sweet potatoes. Regular potatoes will work as a direct substitution as well.
A simple start with onion, ginger, garlic, some spices, then some non dairy yogurt or vegan cream of choice, pressure cook and done. Takes just 10 minutes to put together then pressure cook and wait 5 mins to release. Serve this easy Saag Aloo with Dals or bean curries. Pictured here with Punjabi Dal fry made with Moong Dal. Yuhmm!
The recipe can easily be made nut-free and in a Saucepan(instructions in the Recipe notes). Add some cooked chickpeas or lentils to make it into a meal.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Potato Chickpea Spinach Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP.
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Step by Step Photos
Assemble the ingredients, chop and set aside.
Toast the spices, then add onion and garlic and cook to golden. Then add in the tomatoes and greens.
Fold in sweet potatoes and non dairy yogurt, mix in. Close the lid and Pressure cook.
Serve with Dals or bean curries.
Instant Pot Saag Aloo - Sweet Potato & Chard Curry
- 1 tsp oil or use 2 tbsp water or broth to saute
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin , or 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cardamom
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) cayenne
- 1 or 2 whole cloves (or use 1/8 tsp ground cloves)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 2 cups (266 g) cubed sweet potato , or regular potatoes
- 2 cups (72 g) packed chopped chard , spinach or a mix of greens
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water use 3/4 cup for saucier
- 1/2 cup (3.99 oz) non dairy yogurt or full fat coconut milk
- lemon and cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in Instant pot on saute. When hot, add the garlic and ginger and mix and cook for 30 seconds. (Or use a tbsp of broth to saute).
- Add the onion and pinch of salt. Mix and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with a tbsp of water if needed, stir frequently.
- Add the spices and salt and mix in for a few seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes, greens, water and yogurt and mix well to combine.
- Cancel saute, close the lid and pressure cook for 4 mins (manual hi). Then Release the pressure after 5 mins
- Add some coconut milk or cashew cream for creamier if needed. Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add some garam masala if needed. Garnish with lemon and cilantro. Serve with dals, beans or curries.