Red Curry Tempeh Summer Rolls served with manchurian or tonkatsu sauce. Tempeh marinated and roasted in red curry paste + maple. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
I am getting better at rolling up Summer Rolls! They are a great way to finish up stuff from the refrigerator without spending too much time standing near the hot kitchen stove.
I used 3 grain Tempeh for the rolls. Tempeh was steamed and marinated in red curry, maple, soy sauce marinade and cooked until the marinade thickened. Then I went to the fridge and shredded, sliced whatever I had.
Folded up in the roll and served with manchurian sauce pictured (sauce with veggie cabbage balls from the book). These rolls can also be served with a delicious tonkatsu sauce or Thai Peanut butter sauce.
More Tempeh Recipes from the blog.
- Sriracha BBQ Baked Tempeh Wraps with tahini slaw
- Tofu Mango Summer Rolls with Makhani dipping sauce
- Tempeh Scramble, Jalapeno popper dip, Broccoli wraps.
- Gluten-free Potstickers filled with Sweet & Sour Tempeh
In other news, ever wonder What happens to balloons that float away? Helium balloons or other colorful balloons? Everything that goes up, comes down.
Balloons, even though some are biodegradable, take years to degrade. In that time, they kill countless animals and cause dangerous power outages. Sea turtles, dolphins, whales, fish and birds have been reported with balloons in their stomachs and ribbons and strings can lead to entanglement, causing death.
Also, today is the release day of Unity. A film by the writer director of Earthlings. Unity takes an in-depth look at what it truly means to be human. The film presents a message of love, tragedy and hope, all set against the backdrop of some of the most compelling 20th and 21st century footage imaginable. Watch the trailer here, and find a screening near you here.
Red Curry Tempeh Summer Rolls
- 8 oz (226.8 g) tempeh cut into thin strips
For the marinade:
- 1 to 1.5 Tbsp (1 to 1.5 tbsp) red curry paste check for shell fish or other fish ingredients
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 to 2 Tbsp (1 to 2 tbsp) maple or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- a few Tbsp water or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) lemon zest optional
For the rolls
- 8 to 10 Rice wrappers
- shredded carrots
- thinly sliced celery or cucumber
- fresh cilantro or basil or mint
- chopped scallions
- other additions : cooked rice noodles mung bean sprouts, peanuts.
- salt and pepper to taste
Dipping Sauce Suggestions
- Slice the tempeh into thin strips. Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes. Or boil in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade until a paste is formed. Add water or coconut milk if needed. Rub the marinade on all the tempeh strips. Let it chill for an hour or so.
- Transfer the tempeh with the marinade into a large skillet. Add 2 to 3 Tbsp water. Cook over medium heat until all the marinade is absorbed or thickens and sticks to the strips. About 5 minutes.
- Prep your roll station with chopped veggies and wrappers.
- Dip each wrapper in warm water for 10 seconds, then place on a wet surface. Pile up the veggies, herbs and tempeh strips. Sprinkle salt and pepper if needed. Roll from one end to the middle, the fold the side edges in, and roll over to seal.
- Serve with tonkatsu, manchurian sauce or thai peanut sauce.
Will these work for a packed lunch (not get mushy and such)?
Yes, summer rolls should work for lunches. Cover them with a damp paper towel, then wrap well in plastic wrap, or just tightly in plastic, so they dont dry out and retain shape.
Hi Richa – I made these summer rolls with peanut sauce . It was absolutely delicious . Our whole family enjoyed it . I love the way you marry different ingredients which I would never think of doing it and it turns out just perfect 🙂
Thank you for sharing your recipes
Awesome! so glad you all loved it!
I love your blog so so much it provides me with so many recipes!!!!
Ana @ Ana's Rocket Ship
These look so yummy!!! I’m going to have to try and make these with chickpeas (you can’t really get tempeh over here!)
Richa, you changed my life! Your suggestion to use two pieces of rice paper to make rolls….took what used to be a frustrating mess for me and turned me into a seriously great Vietnamese garden roll maker!! Your recipes in general are delicious and low drama, and this is the best example of that. Thank you so very much!
Thank you for the information on balloons and the Unity film. We believe releasing balloons will not hurt anyone, but it truly does affect other life (and our future).
mmm these look delicious, richa. i bet that sauce is unbelievable.
Gluten Free Babe
These look fantastic. I am always looking for new tempeh recipes. I have one on my site for peanut tempeh lettuce wraps. Peanuts and tempeh go so well together. I love the curry idea. And I make rice paper rolls all the time. I made your celery and black pepper tofu tonight for dinner. It was great! Thank you for the wonderful recipes.
That photo makes me drool!! 🙂
Samantha @ The Planted Vegan
These look so delicious! I’ve been needing a new spring roll sauce recipe, and this one sounds perfect!