Easy Vegan Carnitas. Mushrooms marinated in Spicy Smoky Zesty Marinade and Baked. Serve these Mushroom Carnitas with toppings in tacos, wraps, burritos. Use Jackfruit for variation. Glutenfree Nutfree Oilfree Recipe. Soyfree option. Jump to Recipe
Every since I baked jackfruit with sauce for Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches, I’ve fallen in love with crisp caramelized result! Its much easier, no mess, short active time. Just mix everything and bake! I use the same process for these mushroom Carnitas. Sliced mushrooms, sliced onion, spices, herbs, and a flavorful marinade. Just put everything in a bowl, marinate for a bit if possible, spread in a baking dish and bake and done! No oil needed.
The onions caramelize to a juicy sweet spicy state. Mushrooms cook wonderfully and crisp. Bake less or more time depending on your preference. Fill up tacos or wraps, add your favorite toppings like mashed avocado/guacamole, vegan sour cream or salsa and done. Add some smoky black beans or refried beans to the tacos for a hearty meal. You can use the same process with Jackfruit, shredded oyster mushrooms, hearts of palm and shredded seitan.
What are Carnitas
Carnitas are shredded meats cooked by braising or simmering in fat and marinades or spice blends until tender. The meats are then pulled apart or shredded if not already, and cooked over high heat to crisp.
For Vegan versions, you can use chicken or pork subs, mushrooms, jackfruit etc. These subs dont always need the longer cooking times and that much fat. In this recipe, I use a Spice + orange/cider marinade on the mushrooms + onion and just bake it. The baking caramelizes the onion and browns the mushrooms to a tender-crisp, the marinade thickens and gets concentrated in the onion and mushrooms for a fabulous flavor. You can spray the mixture generously with oil for a more decadent flavor profile.
More Tacos and Wraps to try!
- Cauliflower Walnut Taco “meat” in Tacos. GF SF , Just process and bake, So Easy!
- Jamaican Jerk Black Bean Tacos. GF, jerk spices with beans are amazing!
- Pinto Bean Fajita Veggie Tacos GF, this chili lime marinade is addicting.
- Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich or tacos – SF I mean avocado + chickpeas.
- Samosa Wraps with Spiced Chickpeas. GF SF Samosa potatoes work in everything.
- Tempeh Scramble , Jalapeno Popper Dip Wraps, the creamy dip makes this a must try.
- Jerk Jackfruit, Caribbean Black Bean Wraps , so much flavor!
Step by Step Photos
These Mushroom Carnitas need just 1 Bowl, 40 minutes, everyday ingredients and No Oil!
They easy and so flavorful and versatile. Change up the seasoning to use your favorite taco blend, chili blend or other.
Vegan Carnitas with Mushrooms
- 1 onion , thinly sliced (small to medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno , thinly sliced (optional)
- 12 oz mushrooms , sliced, (white or combination or white, cremini, portobello)
- 1/4 cup (62 ml) orange juice or cider(plain cider not vinegar), half of both
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for glutenfree, or coconut aminos for soyfree
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika , or use 1 tsp sweet paprika and 1/2 tsp smoked forless heat
- 1.5 tsp (1.5 tsp) oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more chipotle pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp (1 tsp) chili powder blend or use more of the above spices and herbs
- optional flavors: Add 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning , add 2 tbsp beer
- Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (205 C). Line a baking dish with parchment.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, jalapeno, mushrooms to a large bowl. Add the orange juice/cider, lime and soy sauce and toss to mix well. Let it sit to marinate for atleast 10 mins (or chill for an hour).
- Mix the ground spices in a small bowl and sprinkle on the mushrooms. Add salt if using. Toss well to coat.
- Drop the mushroom mixture onto parchment lined baking dish. Spread the mixture around so it forms a mostly single layer. Spray oil all over(optional).
- Bake for 30 mins, then move the mushrooms around so the ones on the edges dont burn.(If the mushrooms or marinade is burning on the edges already, then reduce temp to 350 deg F). Bake for another 5 to 15 mins depending on preferred browning (also depends on the mushrooms used and thickness of the slices).
- Serve in tacos or wraps or bowls with mashed avocado/guacamole, jalapeno, vegan sour cream, or salsa. Add some cooked beans, or refried beans for added protein. Store refrigerated for upto 4 days. Pictured with mashed avocado+ lime, jalapeno, vegan sour cream.