This Vegan Chocolate Gingerbread Cake has an amazing flavor profile. Ginger, candied ginger, dark chocolate add a pleasing bitter combination with gingerbread spices. 1 Bowl. Vegan Soyfree Nutfree Recipe GF option Jump to Recipe
Ginger and Chocolate in baked goods work very well together in the cold season. The craving for spice and chocolate gets satisfied with every bite! Warm gooey chocolate, loads of ginger and gingerbread spices.
This loaf has cocoa, fresh ginger and gingerbread spices in the wet and candied ginger and chopped up dark or regular chocolate in the dry. It bakes into a slightly dense pound cake like loaf that is best served warm. If storing for longer, warm before serving so that the chocolate can melt a bit and get gooey and delicious. Its almost like a gingerbread brownie! Serve as a snack or top with whipped coconut cream or a chocolate frosting for dessert.
More Holiday Bakes
- Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Pumpkin Frosting. GF option
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake
- Eggnog Pound Cake
- Easy Coffee Cake – Cinnamon Streusel Cake GF option
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Marble Cake
- Applesaue spice cake GF option
- GF Cashew Butter Chocolate Marble Cake.
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Roll Bread yeast-free.
- GF Carrot Banana Bread – Also grain-free.
- Sweet Potato Crumb Cake. GF
Vegan Chocolate Gingerbread Cake
- 1/2 cup (124.44 ml) + 1 tbsp non dairy milk , boiling hot
- 1/4 cup (21.5 g) cocoa
- 1/4 cup (61 g) applesauce
- 3 tbsp oil or use more non dairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup (73.33 g) brown sugar or cane sugar + 1 tbsp molasses (1/3 cup if using semi sweet chocolate)
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger optional
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups (156.25 g) flour (I use a mix of all purpose and whole wheat)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp gingerbread spice ,less or more to preference (or 3/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, dashed of ground cloves, nutmeg)
- 1/4 cup (45 g) chopped vegan chocolate , dark or semi sweet or a mix
- 1/3 cup (46.67 g) chopped candied ginger
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips for topping optional
- Grease or line a loaf pan with parchment. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (180 C).
- In a bowl, mix the hot non dairy milk and cocoa until combined. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add 1 cup flour, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda to the wet. Mix the dry ingredients lightly before combining into the wet. (Or alternatively, mix in another bowl and then add to the wet)
- Add the chocolate, candied ginger and 1/4 cup flour and mix in to make a muffin like batter. Add more flour if too flowy. This batter is good to bake into muffins, mini loafs or cake pan. If baking a large loaf, add a few tbsp more flour until the batter is stiff, and then drop into prepared loaf pan. Use a clean spoon or spatula to even it out.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake for 45 mins. Check with a toothpick from the middle. (muffin 22 min, shallow cake pan 35 mins)
- Cool for 10 mins then remove from pan. Cool to room temp before slicing. Serve warm (warm to melt the chocolate if already cooled) as a snack or top with whipped coconut cream or a chocolate frosting for dessert.