Vegan Creamed Spinach. Simple Creamy Delicious Spinach baked with non dairy cream and topped with herbed cheesy biscuit topping. Vegan Recipe. Can be Soy-free, Nut-free, Gluten-free. Jump to Recipe
Creamed Spinach makes for a delicious side in the holiday season. Spinach, kale or other greens cooked with herebs, garlic and cheesy cream and served as is or with cheesy biscuit topping! Lets raise that bar on Vegan Creamed Spinach.
This Creamy Spinach Gratin comes together really quickly with just 7 ingredients. Once the mixture is slightly thickened, top with the quick cheesy biscuit topping and bake!
Ingredients for Vegan Creamed Spinach
- For Creamed Spinach you need a good lot of spinach, onion, garlic, pepper flakes, black pepper and herbs such as oregano. For the cream part, you need either cashew cream, silken tofu cream or other non dairy cream option. Add some nutritional yeast or miso for cheesier flavor.
- For the biscuit topping, you need flour, almond flour, dried herbs, salt, nutritional yeast and non dairy milk.
How to Make Vegan Creamed Spinach with Biscuit topping
Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Add oregano, peppers and mix for a few seconds. Or use 2 tbsp broth for oil-free.
Add onion and garlic and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook until translucent.
Add the thawed spinach and continue to cook until the water is almost gone. Add the non dairy cream and salt and mix in. Take off heat.
Make the Biscuit topping: Mix the flours and dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add 1/2 cup milk and mix in. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time to make a thick muffin like mixture. Drop spoonfuls over the creamy spinach.
Bake at 400 deg F for 25 mins. Broil for a minute to crisp the top if needed.
Can I make this gluten-free?
Yes, Omit the biscuit topping and serve the creamed spinach after it has thickened in the skillet.
Or use a mix of 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup oat flour and 1/4 cup starch mix for the biscuits.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, Make the spinach mixture and refrigerate for upto 1 day. Make the biscuit topping and bake on the day to serve.
You can also refrigerate baked creamed spinach and reheat in the oven for 10 mins to serve.
More Sides for Thanksgiving
- Vegan Gravy 1 Pot without mushrooms GF SF Option
- Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot or Saucepan GF SF
- Vegan Spinach Pinwheels with Cream Cheese SF
- Chickpea Spinach Pie with Berbere Spice SF
- Instant Pot Mushroom Gravy. GF
- Cornbread Stuffing SF
Vegan Creamed Spinach with Biscuit topping
- 1 tsp oil or broth to saute
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup (160 g) chopped or sliced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 16 oz frozen spinach , thawed for 10 mins, or use chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) cashew milk (1/3 cup cashews blended with 1 cup water), or or silken tofu cream (1/2 cup silken tofu blended with 1 cup water), or other non dairy cream
- 3/4 cup (93.75 g) all purpose flour , see not for gluten-free
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried herbs (I use rosemary and oregano)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (118.29 ml) + 2 tbsp non dairy milk ,such as light coconut milk, soy milk or unsweetened almond milk
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Add oregano, black pepper and pepper flakes and mix for a few seconds.
- Add onion and garlic and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook until translucent. (3 to 5 mins)
- Add the thawed spinach and continue to cook until the water is almost gone. (If using other hardly greens or a mix, cook the hardy greens to wilt and then add spinach)
- Add the non dairy cream and salt and mix in. Take off heat. You can add 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or 1/2 tsp miso and mix in, for cheesier creamed spinach. (You can refrigerate this creamy spinach for upto a day)
- Make the topping: Mix the flours and dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup non dairy milk and mix in. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time to make a thick muffin like mixture. Drop spoonfuls over the spinach.
- Bake at 400 deg F (205 C) for 25 mins. Broil for a minute to crisp up the biscuits if needed. Serve hot!Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for upto 2 days. Reheat in the oven for 10 mins or so.