Khichdi in a Jar – Mixed Vegetable Kitchari Mix for Instant Pot or Saucepan. Easy Lentil Rice Soup with Veggies. Gift the jar full of lentils,, rice and spices. Empty into a pot with veggies of choice. Easy Weekday Dinner. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Tis the time to wrap up some fun gifts and this one is a must. When I made this jar, I thought, hey its khichdi, it is a super simple recipe. People can possibly just throw it all together at home within minutes. But when its right there in the jar, it is as simple as putting it in the instant pot (pressure cooker) or saucepan with water and just a short wait to a fabulous meal.
Khichdi or Kitchari is dal and rice risotto like preparation that usually is very lightly spiced and served as light meal when you are sick or just to give the tummy a break with a simple nourishing meal. The basic version is slightly bland with just 1 or 2 spices and kept so to be a light meal. You can add different spices, some vegetables, tomato etc to make it a hearty meal. The basic version is in my first book, This recipe is adapted from the basic version. Also see my hearty green moong and brown rice version on the blog. Khichdi is generally overcooked to be more of a mash for easy digestion. Cook it for less time for the grains and lentils to retain shape and a few minutes longer for a mash.
This bottled up kitchari makes a great gift. You will want to make and eat lots of kitchari after the big holiday meals and the jar makes it a 5 minute job. Empty contents in an Instant pot which you may have received as a gift, or to a saucepan, add whatever veggies you like, add water and done! Serve as is or with some chutneys or papadum/crackers.
I pack the spices in a separate pouch and then add to the gift jar. This allows the cook to change up the recipe, wash the rice and lentils if they wish etc. If the spices are layered into the jar, then washing the rice/lentils is not possible. Use other spices, lentils, rice/grains for variations and have these jars around for quick meals! See instructions to make khichdi directly with the ingredients if you dont want to jar them. You can also make this into a stew/curry, use some non dairy milk along with the water.
More Jar Gifts from the blog!
- Cowboy Cookies in a Jar.
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cake mix in a jar.
- Mexican Hot chocolate Mix in a Jar. GF
- Coconut Macaroons Mix in a Jar. GF
- Sriracha Orange Peanut Quinoa Granola. Savory, sweet and spicy GF
- Coconut Chutney Mix and Dosa Crepe Mix in a Jar
- Dal tadka- Indian spiced Lentil Soup mix in a jar. GF
If you make this recipe, do let me know how it turned out! Tag me on social media #veganricha
Troubleshoot: Khichdi tends to be a bit overcooked traditionally. Cook for 2 mins to 6 minutes on Manual in Instant pot based on your preference of texture.
The pictured khichdi was cooked for 5 minutes after alternate tempering method. The tempering process preheats the pan helping it come to pressure quickly. To reduce that time and hence reduce chances of overcooking. Bring the water + lentils to a boil on saute mode, then add the veggies, spices, salt and close the lid.
Khichdi in a Jar - Mixed Veg Kitchari Mix for Instant Pot or Saucepan
- 3/4 cup (138.75 g) long grain white basmati rice
- 3/4 cup (144 g) quick cooking lentils such as Red lentils , (I generally use half moong dal and half red lentils)
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 (2 ) cloves
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) coriander powder
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) onion flakes
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala , more if you like it spicier
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- 1 or 2 (NaN ) Indian bay leaves
- 1 (1 ) tomato chopped
- 1 to 2 cups (NaN cups) chopped vegetables
- water (depends on method of cooking,, see instructions)
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- Assemble the jar: Layer the rice and lentils.
- Toast the cumin seeds and cloves on stove top over medium heat until cumin seeds change color slightly. This step is optional. Toasted cumin seeds add a deeper tastier flavor. Cool completely.
- Add toasted cumin, cloves, rest of the spices to small ziplock bag and add to the jar. Close the lid. Store for upto 3 months.
- Instructions to make the khichdi On the jar: Wash the lentils and rice, (optional).
- To the Instant pot, Add 3.5 to 4 cups water (depends on your preference of consistency of the stew), washed lentils & rice, spice bag contents, 3/4 to 1 tsp salt and 1 tomato finely chopped. Add upto 2 cups of chopped vegetables and mix in. Close the lid and cook on hi pressure for 2-4 minutes (4 for indian khichdi style mash consistency). For a regular rice and dal style kitchari, pressure cook on Low pressure for 3 mins. Release the pressure after 5 mins. Fluff lightly.(For Saucepan, add 5 cups of water instead of 3.5 and the rest of the ingredients as above. Cover partially and cook for 22 minutes, then check the consistency and doneness and continue to cook more until done.).
- Garnish with cilantro, lemon juice and pepper flakes and serve as is or with chutneys, or papadums/crackers.
- To make directly: Assemble the ingredients. Heat 1 tsp oil on saute in IP, or saucepan on medium. Add the cumin seeds and cloves and cook until fragrant. Add bay leaves, turmeric and garam masala and mix for a few seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients, water, salt and cook as step 5.