Instant Pot Mushroom Masala. Easy Mushrooms and peas in Creamy Sauce made in an Instant Pot. Add chickpeas for a hearty meal. Vegan Gluten-free Soyfree Recipe. Can be nutfree Jump to Recipe
The Stove top version of Mushroom mutter Masala has been loved a lot. It is super easy 1 pot 30 mins as well. But its summer, and no one wants all the heat from the stove in the house. So let make this Instant Pot (pressure cooker) version!
The recipe is pretty similar to the stove top version, super quick and versatile. Add some chickpeas or other beans, other veggies if you like and use other spice blends for flavor variations. I have been using baharat blend (recipe in everyday kitchen) in this lately and that flavor works insanely well with the sauce. Berbere would too. My obsession with baharat and berbere continues. If you havent already, make these blends, they are just mixes of spices, common spices for baharat and berbere might need an online order to get some fenugreek (its worth it!, I use fenugreek in many recipes including this one. It usually is used in many creamy Indian sauces for the traditional flavor).
Back to the recipe. The sauce is again a blender sauce because who’s got time to chop and mince onion, garlic and ginger. Finely Chop them and use if you prefer(the blended mixture can sometimes turn green on cooking because of old garlic. Its edible, just might add some of the color to the sauce).
Then use the same blender to blend the tomato into a puree. Add to the pot with spices and mushrooms and pressure cook. Then use the same blender to make cashew cream, if you dont already have cashew cream or other non dairy cream. Add to the pot after the pressure cooking for best creamy results.
tried, tested and loved!
More Quick and Delicious Instant Pot Recipes to try
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Potato Chickpea Spinach Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- Sweet Potato Chard/Kale Curry – IP aloo Saag. GF
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Just opened IP with Mushroom Masala. Add non dairy cream, peas and spinach, bring to a boil and serve.
Instant Pot Mushroom Masala
- 1/2 (0.5 ) large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 to 1 (NaN ) green chile , remove seeds to reduce heat if needed
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 tsp (NaN tsp) garam masala ( or use baharat or berbere)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) or use 1/4 tsp fenugreek seed powder or 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) or more peas
- 1 cup (30 g) chopped spinach
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more sugar or maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup (32.44 g) raw cashews soaked for 15 mins if needed , use 1/3 cup for creamier sauce, blended with 1/2 cup water until smooth
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne to preference
- cilantro for garnish
- Blend onion, garlic, ginger, chile with a few tablespoons of water into a puree in a blender.
- Put Instant Pot on Saute. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion puree. Cook for 3 mins, stir occasionally to avoid burning. (You can also saute without oil. Use broth and use finely chopped onion ginger garlic so that they dont stick)
- Meanwhile, blend tomatoes in the same blender until smooth and set aside.
- Add the spices and mix in. Add the pureed tomato and mix well to pick up and mix the sticking onion mixture so it doesnt burn while under pressure.
- Add the mushrooms and salt and mix well. (You can add other veggies or 1 cup cooked chickpeas/beans at this point). You dont need additional liquid as the mushrooms and veggies if using, will release moisture during cooking.
- Cancel saute. Close the lid and Pressure cook for 6 mins on high pressure. Once done, Release the pressure after 10 mins.
- Add the peas, spinach, cashew cream, cayenne if using, and sweetener if using. Put the pot on saute and bring the mixture to boil. Taste and adjust salt, spice, flavor. Cancel saute and serve garnished with lemon juice, cilantro. Stove top version here.