Easy Vegan Spanish Rice Bowl with Taco Spice Roasted Cauliflower. Everyday Meal with everyday ingredients. Make into burrito or wraps. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. 30 Mins, Easily made Oilfree.
When you have limited things in the fridge but want a fantastic flavorful meal, this Spanish Rice Bowl checks all the points.
It uses everyday ingredients, is quick, flexible and has so much flavor! Make the simple Spanish rice, Roast up the veggies, load a bowl with toppings of choice such as salsa and avocado and done. Add beans for a hearty meal. I generally use my own Taco blend so that I can adjust the flavor to preference. Use any taco seasoning or chili blend of choice.
Although the title being used is Spanish rice, it is basically mexican rice. Spanish rice (from spanish cuisine is slightly different with saffron and other ingredients). Mexican rice is also called spanish rice at times. Mexican rice also has many variations and recipes. This is my interpretation of the tomato based rice dish and I ended up choosing Spanish rice as that is a more popular search term.
More Easy Bowls from the blog..
- Peanut Butter Roasted Cauliflower Bowl. GF
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa GF
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl GF
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce GF
- Chili Garlic Tofu Bowl with Vermicelli. GF
More Tacos from the blog
- Mango BBQ Soyur/jackfruit Tacos.
- Berbere Spiced Jackfruit Tacos
- Chipotle Shredded Butternut Tacos
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Mushroom Barbacoa Tacos
Easy Vegan Spanish Rice Bowl with Taco Roasted Cauliflower. Everyday Meal with everyday ingredients. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. Easily made oilfree
- 1 cup white rice such as basmati, or use short grain washed, drained, then soaked in water for 15 mins
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder blend or taco seasoning (see Recipe notes)
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 tsp oil or aquafaba
- 1 tbsp or more taco spice /seasoning blend
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salsa of choice
- Lime juice
Spanish Rice: Blend the tomato, onion, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno, garlic powder until smooth and set aside.
Drain the rice and combine with 1 3/4 cup water in a saucepan.(You can roast the drained rice in 1 tsp oil for a few mins until it starts to turn golden before adding water). Add the pureed tomato mixture, 1/2 tsp salt and mix in. (at this point you can also add some chopped bell pepper).
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 16 to 18 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Mix in about 1/4 cup chunky salsa and the chopped cilantro and fluff. Taste and adjust salt, flavor(add more chili powder or taco seasoning, more salsa if needed).
Roasted Cauliflower: Drizzle oil over the cauliflower florets. Mix in well (I use my hands to rub the oil all over). You can also add other veggies to the mix such as broccoli, zucchini, sweet potato, rutabaga. Increase the spices and salt accordingly.
Mix the spices and salt in a small bowl then sprinkle all over. Toss to coat. Distribute the Cauliflower on a parchment lined baking sheet or baking dish.
Bake at 425 degrees F (220 deg C) for 25 mins or until the veggies are cooked through.
Serve the spanish rice with the roasted cauliflower/veggies, sprinkle of lime juice, some salsa and guacamole/avocado.
For a hearty meal, add beans of choice. I also like a dash of black pepper over the bowl. The mix can also be made into burritos with some lettuce and refried beans.
Add some refried beans or walnut taco meat to the bowl for variation.
Taco Seasoning: Mix and store.
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika
1/2 tsp each chipotle pepper powder, black pepper
1 tsp each of oregano and parsley,
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional, add less to pref), a good pinch of all spice or cinnamon.
Brown Rice: Use 2.5 cups water for brown rice, add a bit more of the spices and herbs. Bring to boil over medium heat, then reduce to medium-low, cover and cook for 45 mins or until the rice is cooked through. Let the rice sit covered for another 5 mins, before fluffing and adding salsa.
Nutrition is 1 of 3 serves