Vegan Gluten free Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting. Soft and delicious vanilla cakes sweetened with dates. 1 Bowl Cake. No Egg, No gums Gluten free Vegan Recipe. Can be refined sugar free. Jump to Recipe
I have had Gluten-free vanilla cake in my to do list for a long while. Gluten-free baking is tricky and gluten free vegan baking is even more. But finally We have a soft amazing Vanilla Cake!
The cake uses almond, oat and rice flours and uses mainly dates for sweetening. The cakes can be made refined sugar free easily. Make the 2 cakes and frost separately or layer for a great gluten free birthday cake. Use a vegan butter cream frosting and sprinkles. or this chocolate frosting and add sprinkles or shaved chocolate. You can also bake the batter into one 8 by 8 inch brownie pan and add the frosting of choice.
This Gluten free Vanilla Cake is eggless, dairyfree, gum-free, Needs 1 Bowl, and is Soft, Delicious, and freat for snacking or using for layer cakes. For regular flour vanilla cake, use this cake to bake into 1 or 2 pans. If you make this cake, do let me know how it turned out!
More Glutenfree Cakes and Bakes from the blog
- GF Cashew Butter Chocolate Marble Cake.
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Roll Bread yeast-free.
- GF Carrot Banana Bread – Also grain-free.
- Sweet Potato Crumb Cake. GF
- GF Christmas Cake
- Lemon Donuts grainfree
- Pumpkin Bars grainfree
How to make Soft gluten-free cakes
- Gluten free flours tend to dry out while baking, so add high moisture ingredients(applesauce, date paste, non dairy yogurt etc) and definitely some high moisture nut flours for baking.
- Gluten free baking does much better when baked less tall and in smaller sizes. Larger volumes are more prone to failures with errors or conditional issues such as brands of flours, oven temperate, pan etc.
- As with my gluten-free christmas cake, this cake can be fluffier with some leavening added before baking, such as 1/2 tsp citric acid to the dry ingredients, or folding some whipped aquafaba into the batter.
- Store the cakes covered with a light towel to cool. GF bakes tend to lose moisture quickly during and after baking, Covering them allows for the moisture to stay in.
The Best Vegan Gluten free Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting. Soft and delicious vanilla cakes sweetened with dates. Vegan Gluten free Recipe. Can be refined sugar free.
Makes Two 6 inch cakes or One 9 by 9 or similar size pan
- 15 Soft Medjool Dates *
- 3 tbsp sugar unrefined, coconut or other for sweeter *
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour use certified glutenfree if needed), or use other flour such as sorghum, amaranth, or more almond flour
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp spices such as cinnamon for additional flavor
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 6 dates** , add 2 tbsp sugar for sweeter
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips I use half dark and half semi sweet
- a few drops of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt
Line two 6 inch pans with parchment or grease really well. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F 180 C
Blend the ingredients under wet until well combined and smooth. The dates should break down really well. Blend for 1 min, then rest for 5 mins then blend again for a min, 2 to 3 times
In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients, whisk well.
Add the wet to the dry and mix to combine. If the mixture is too flowy, add a tbsp or so more flour.
Pour into pans, even it out, and bake for 25 to 28 mins. Check from the center of the pan. Cool for 5 mins, then remove from pan. Let cool completely under a light towel before frosting.
Blend the dates with the milk and starch until smooth. Pour into a pan and heat over medium heat to bring to just about a boil. Take off heat. Add chocolate and let sit for 2 mins
The whisk well until well combined and smooth, Chill for 15 to 30 mins until desired thick consistency.
Add a dollop of the frosting on the first layer and spread. Place the second cake on top. Add another dollop and spread then spread the rest of the frosting all over. Add sprinkles, roasted hazelnuts, or chocolate shavings on top. Serve with whipped coconut cream or vanilla ice cream.
Store on the counter for the day. Store refrigerated for upto 5 days.
*You can reduce the dates to half if you dont like the flavor, use 3/4 cup water to blend and use 1/2 cup total sugar instead of the first 3 ingredients in the cake. Add 1 tbsp applesauce or non dairy yogurt.
** In the ganache, use 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup non dairy milk instead of dates and 1/2 cup milk.
For a regular cake, use This cake batter to bake into 2 pans.
Nutrition is for 1 slice of 8