Easy Homemade Curry Powder Recipe! Adjust the ingredients to make your favorite curry spice. Use the seasoning in curries, roasted veggies, bowls, add to beans, hummus. Vegan Recipe Jump to Recipe
Curry Powders vary by brands and ethnic influences (Caribbean, Japanese, Srilankan, British) and can be very Varied in terms of flavors and ingredients. The British/western Curry powder which is used for indianish curries, is not really used in authentic Indian food. It is often a blend of spices mixing some northern Indian and southern Indian spices.
There is no one blend used in all of Indian cuisine. Depending on the region, the blends vary in names and spices. Garam masala, Goda masala, Sambhar Powder, Kashmiri Garam masala etc. The dry masala(blend)s which can be thought of as regional curry powders are used to make specific curries. The Indian market also has picked up on the popularity of this naming as well and you will find “curry powders” such as Madras Curry powder, Kashmiri Curry powder, vindaloo curry powder etc which as basically versions of kashmiri garam masala, vindaloo masala etc.
This is my version of the generic curry powder for Indian curries. I build up the recipe with the garam masala for more Indian flavor profile. You can adjust the flavor based on your preference with additional cinnamon, turmeric or heat.
Use curry powder in Lentil Butternut Curry, Curried fried rice, Japanese Curry, Curry Ramen ,chickpea sweet potato curry. add to veggies and roast, add to fritters and more!
More Spice Blends from the blog
- Whole Garam Masala
- Quick Ground garam masala powder
- Cajun spice blend
- Taco Spice
- Jamaican Jerk Blend
- Berbere Dry blend (Ethiopian)
- Pumpkin Pie spice
- Gingerbread spice
Curry Powder Recipe
- 1 Recipe Garam masala powder (2 tbsp coriander, 1 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp blk pepper, 3/4 -1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/4 tsp nutmeg), no cloves for less heat, Or use
- 4 tbsp of My Whole Garam masala, powdered
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger , optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp fenugreek seed powder , optional
- 1/2 tsp cayenne , optional
- Mix all the ingredients and store in an airtight container for upto 3 months. Adjust flavor once you use it with extra cinnamon, heat or turmeric
Wayanad Spice Valley
I have found website that sells organic Kerala spices
I had never thought of making my own curry powder or other spices, I love this idea! Plus your little jars are adorable! Great recipe 🙂