This easy homemade Fresh Blueberry Lemonade is the perfect way to cool down on a hot day! It’s bursting with flavor from sweet blueberries, refreshing mint and tart lemon. Lightly sweetened, it makes for a very special summer drink that is so much better than storebought lemonade.
When life gives you lemons and blueberries, make Blueberry Lemonade. Blueberry is definitely an unconventional lemonade flavor but trust me, it’s divine. Wonderfully fruity and sweet from the plump fresh and juicy blueberries with just enough of a zesty kick from the lemons and a lovely freshness from the mint.
And doesn’t it just look so pretty, served with fresh lemon slices and mint leaves?
Making this blueberry lemonade could not be any easier. You need water, lemons, blueberries, sugar and mint. That’s it. Add less or more blueberries to preference and less or more mint.
This is really the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer day. Of course, you can get creative, play around with the recipe and try different berry and herb combinations. I will add some ideas in the tips section.
More refreshing drinks:
- Golden Iced Chai
- Golden Lassi
- Strawberry Lemonade Slushie
- Shikanji Nimbu Pani – Indian Lemonade
- Vegan Baklava Lassi
- Vegan Cookie Dough Blizzard Milkshake. Glutenfree Recipe
- Vegan Black Forest Shake
- 1/2 cup (74 g) Or more fresh blueberries
- 1 whole lemon thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar less or more to preference or sugar subs/alternatives
- 5 leaves of mint
- 2 cups ice
- 3 cups (709.76 ml) of water or you can use carbonated water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To a mason jar or bowl, add the blueberries, 2-3 slices of lemon, sugar and 2 leaves of mint and mash it or muddle until most of the berries are mashed
- If you used a bowl to muddle, transfer the muddled berries to a mason jar or a small jar. Add the ice, lemon juice and remaining mint to the jar. Close the lid, Mix and shake until sugar dissolves. Transfer this blueberry mixture to the serving jug. Add water or seltzer water and lemon slices.
- Let the berry mix set a little bit, then taste and adjust flavor by adding more sugar if needed. I also usually like to add a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness. Chill and serve.
- Store; refrigerate until ready to serve. Store refrigerated for upto 2 days.
- fresh blueberries – you could also use thawed frozen blueberries
- no lemonade without freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced – try and use an organic lemon
- I sweeten my lemonade with 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar. You could of course add more or less or use your favorite alternative sweetener
- fresh mint for a refreshing kick. The recipe works without mint but I really like this addition
- ice cubes – for an extra pretty presentation, you could pop a small mint leaf into each ice cub before freezing
- water – regular filtered water or use carbonated water
- a pinch of salt is added to bring out the sweetness
- I like blueberries and mint but blueberries go so well with all kinds of herbs! Think blueberry and thyme, basil or rosemary.
- To make this an adult beverage or summery cocktail, you could of course add a shot of white rum or vodka
- Use other berries like blackberries or raspberries for variation.
How to make Fresh Blueberry Lemonade:
To a bowl, add the blueberries, 2-3 slices of lemon, sugar, and 2 leaves of mint and muddle everything.
Alternatively, you can use a mason jar and muddle the berries, then add ice and lemon juice and mix or shake until the sugar is well combined, then transfer it to your serving jar or jug.
Add the blueberry mix to the serving jug. Add the remaining mint leaves and lemon slices to the serving jug. Add water (or seltzer water).
Mix really well.
Let the berry mix set a little bit, then taste and adjust the flavor by adding more sugar if needed. I also usually like to add a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness. Chill and serve immediately.
Store; refrigerate until ready to serve. Store refrigerated for upto 2 days.
looks so lovely! Do you strain the blueberries after mashing them?
I don’t. They settle after 5 minutes so most of the lemonade is berry mush free. You can strain after mashing.
It’s so delicious and refreshing! Thank you for the recipe:)
Vegan Richa Support
perfect for summer!
Lemon and blueberry.. Always a perfect combo.
Vegan Richa Support
one of my favs
Delicious and so very easy. Perhaps tonight I will add a little vodka to it 😀
Vegan Richa Support
oooooooo – nice summer cocktail