Shikanji or Nimbu Pani is a spiced drink similar to lemonade. It needs just 7 ingredients and is a refreshing drink for summer. Indian Lemonade or limeade spiced with cumin and kala namak. Vegan Recipe Jump to Recipe
It is finally getting warm out here and Shikanji is starting to make an appearance! This Indian Limeade has Just 7 Ingredients, is Zesty, and so refreshing. A hint of spices such as cumin and kala namak (yes that egg flavored Indian sulphur salt!) add a fabulous flavor to this drink.
Lime is the choice of citrus but lemon makes a great shikanji too. Make sure to make a large pitcher worth as everyone will fight over it!
What is Shikanji / Nimbu Pani?
Shikanji or Shikanjvi or Nimbu Pani is a limeade like drink made in several regions in India. Nimbu Pani literally tranlates to lime water. Summers bring tropical heat, water loss with all the sweating and thirst! Shikanji is the best thirst quencher in those days or any day for that matter. The ingredients vary a bit depending on family or regional influence. You can add or remove to preference.
It makes a great re-hydration drink to rejuvenate and refresh.
Ingredients for Shikanji
Lime: is the citrus of choice generally for shikanjvi. It is fresh, zesty.
Chaat Masala or other souring additions: Along with lime, there is usually additional sour added to the drink. Indian Chaat Masala(which contains kala namak, dry mango powder, cumin, ground ginger etc). Or use kala namak, the eggy sulphur salt is used for its sour flavor here and not the egg flavor, or Amchur (dry mango powder). You can use either of these 3 or just add more lime to taste
Salt: Salt is generally added to the drink as salts are needed for rehydration when you have been sweating and losing salts from the body. You can use less or more to preference.
Sugar/Sweetener: Balances out the sour and salty flavor.
Ground Cumin: Ground toasted cumin adds a subtle toasty earthy flavor that goes very well with the lime. You can use regular ground cumin, or use ground coriander or just omit.
Black pepper: helps clear up the sinuses even in the tiny amount. Add less or more or omit.
Make this into a Cocktail!: Vodka, Rum or gin work well with this sour lime drink.
More Drinks from the blog for summer!
Try this Chaas- Indian Vegan Buttermilk, spiced and chilled for a delicious after meal drink.
Some Turmeric Iced Spiced Tea, because hey iced tea!
Mango Panna is a spiced mango drink usually made with raw mangoes. Sour, tangy, sweet! Also very popular in Summer.
This Cookie Dough Blizzardwith homemade GF cookie dough!
or some Frappucino!
Shikanji Nimbu Pani (Indian Lemonade)
- Juice of 1 lime , 1.5 limes if the lime is small
- 2.5 cups (591.47 ml) of water (cold)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) Indian chaat masala, or 1/8 to 1/4 tsp kala namak (indian sulphur salt), or 1/8 tsp dry mango powder
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) ground cumin (optional)
- a dash of black pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar or sweetener
- lime slices for garnish, mint leaves for garnish
- ice cubes as needed
- Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Taste and adjust sweet, tang, salt and indian black salt flavor. (The mix can now be refrigerated for upto 2 days, or refrigerate to chill)
- Serve in glasses over ice cubes. Garnish with mint or sliced lime. See variations in notes.
- Use lemon for lemonade.
- Add some muddled fresh mint or blend with mint for a mint shikanji
- Add a few drops of ginger juice (mince fresh ginger and squeeze).
- Blend with a few tbsp cilantro and mint to make cilantro mint shikanji. So good!
- Infuse with seasonal berries like sliced strawberries, raspberries.
- Make this into a Cocktail: Vodka, Rum or gin work well with this sour lime drink.