Indian Spiced Buttermilk Drink Chaas Recipe. Masala chaas. Savory Non Dairy Yogurt Drink with Mint, cumin and ice cubes. Indian Summer Beverage. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe
We’ve all had some or the other type of lassi which is a sweet yogurt drink, where yogurt is blended with flavors (mango, rose, plain) and sugar/sweetener and some chilled water or ice. Lassis are a perfect summer drink.
Chaas/ chaach /Mattha is an equally loved Indian Beverage for summer. Chaas is a savory spiced drink which is made with thin buttermilk. Chaas is great for the summer to hydrate as well as helps digestion.
Traditionally chaas is either made with the leftover water after making butter from cream, or from sour yogurt. This version uses almond milk yogurt to make a savory summer drink. A bit of lemon and kala namak adds some sourness. Refreshing and Summery. You can make your own non dairy yogurt at home. See Recipe notes.
South Indian version of Chaas called Neer Mor and it has cilantro, curry leaves, green chile that gets blended into the yogurt mixture. The serving is then garnished with a tempering of mustard seeds.
Try this Chaach with your favorite plain non dairy yogurt and let me know how it turned out!
More Summer drinks from the blog
- Turmeric Iced Masala Chai
- Hazelnut macchiato
- Cookie Dough Blizzard
- Mango Lassi
- Turmeric Lassi
- Mango Panna
Indian Spiced Buttermilk Drink Vegan Chaas Recipe
Save This Recipe in Your Inbox
Share your email and we will send this recipe! Plus, enjoy all the new recipes as they post!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Vegan Richa.
- 1 cup (245 ml) non dairy unsweetened plain yogurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold water
- ice as needed
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin or roasted ground cumin
- 2 mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) kala namak Indian sulphur salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) black pepper
- a dash of lemon juice
- Mint leaves or cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cumin for garnish
- Blend the first 8 ingredients in a blender until frothy. It will take 2 to 3 minutes to froth well. Taste and adjust salt(kala namak or plain salt). Add a pinch of sweetener if needed.
- Pour into glasses. Press mint leaves between your fingers to release a bit of flavor and add as garnish. Sprinkle with ground cumin.