Kadai Chole is a delicious Chickpea curry generally made in an Indian wok. 1 Pot 30 min Spiced Chickpeas and Potatoes. Simple Indian sauce paired here with potatoes. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Kadai is a wok like vessel often used to make quick Indian stir fries or dryish curries. There are various types of Kadais. Kadai spicing is also its own category and you might find kadai masala(kadai spice blend) in stores.
For this chickpea curry, its a simple tomato ginger garlic sauce spiced with whole and ground spices cooked over high heat. You can use an Indian Kadai or a skillet of choice. Then simmered with cooked chickpeas and veggies. The sauce can be made more saucy/curry with water/coconut milk or dryer by simmering longer. Kadai dishes are often paired with good amounts of raw onion, green chili and lemon juice for garnish. Serve with flatbreads or rice/grains. Use the dryer version in wraps!
You can use other other cooked beans here such as black eyed peas, brown chickpeas, or kidney beans and other veggies of choice. Lets make some kadai Chana masala! Many ways to use some chickpeas in various Indian curries. Which one is your favorite?
More Chickpea Recipes
- 1 Pot Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry GF Soy-free
- Veggie Chickpea Coconut Korma GF soyfree
- Mangalorean Chickpea Curry GF soyfree
- Butter Sauce Chickpeas– GF
- Spanish Chickpea Stew. GF soyfree
- Harissa Chickpea Sweet Potato stew. GF soyfree
Kadai Chole/Chana - Spiced Chickpeas and Potatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 hot green chili , divided
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tomatoes , chopped(1.5 cups)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 small potato (cubed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- sliced onion, tomato, cayenne, cilantro, lemon juice for garnish
- Blend together the ginger, garlic, half green chili, coriander, cumin and paprika with 2-3 tbsp of water until smooth.
- Heat oil in a regular skillet or kadai over medium high heat. Add cinnamon stick and bay leaf and cook for a few seconds. Add the blended mixture to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Blend the tomatoes into a puree and add to the skillet, cook for 4 minutes or until garlic smell isnt raw.
- Add the chickpeas, potatoes, 1 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the peppers, ginger, paprika, lemon juice, half a green chili chopped and garam masala, if using. (You can also add in 1/2 a teaspoon amchur (mango powder) and 1/2 a teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (or 1/8 tsp powder) for variation.) Mix well. Add more water if needed.
- Cover and cook for 2 mins. Taste and adjust the salt and heat. Garnish with sliced onion, chopped tomato, smoked paprika/cayenne and a dash of lemon juice and cilantro. Serve with rice or flatbread or make wraps.