Veggie- and flavor-packed, savory baked oats are a perfect, healthy, make-ahead breakfast! Think baked Veggie fritter with Oats! The whole dish comes together in one pan and one bake.
Most everyone in my family prefers savory breakfast and snacks. I make my baked savory oats more than sweet versions. This is another delicious savory option for you which uses just 1 pan and makes a great snack for breakfast.
This is a super quick savory baked oatmeal casserole, just like my other baked oatmeal recipes; I use similar ingredients like oats and non-dairy milk. Then I add lots of vegetables and some spices.
The result is a moist oat bar that is filled with veggies. Think of ban oat “fritter,” but baked instead of fried, and in a bar form. You can also waffle the mix. Add a bit more flour and make waffles!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love Savory Baked Oats
- Hearty and healthy. Full of veggies!
- Soyfree. Nutfree Gluten-free option
- One-pan breakfast
- Super flavorful and delicious
- Savory and versatile. Use flavors of choice
More Vegan Baked Oatmeal Recipes
- Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
- Savory Pizza Oatmeal Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal (Vegan)
- Vegan Snickers Baked Oatmeal
Veggie Baked Oats (Savory Baked Oatmeal) Vegan
- 1 cup (81 g) old-fashioned oats preferably thick cut
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup (41.67 g) all-purpose flour or other flour of choice or gluten-free blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or sambar powder, I prefer sambar powder, or use Berbere or taco spice or Cajun for variation
For the veggies:
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) chopped bell peppers use a mix of red or green or just red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots small chopped
- 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon oil , omit for oilfree, add 1 tbsp tahini or non dairy yogurt
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) hot non-dairy milk or water or broth
- optional add ins: 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast or vegan cheese
- 8×10-inch baking pan or similar, like a 9×9-inch baking pan
- In an 8×10-inch or similar size baking dish (or a 9×9-inch baking dish) add the oats, flour, baking powder, chia seeds, salt, and spices and mix really well. Add all the vegetables and toss well.
- Then add the oil and warmed milk and mix really well. Using a spatula even the mixture out. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes while the oven is preheating.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC) then bake the oats for 35-45 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the baked oats cool completely before slicing. You can serve it warm or cold with ketchup or chutney or a squeeze of lemon juice or other dressings or as it is.
- Slice and store refrigerated in a closed container for upto 4 days, or freeze for upto 2 months. Reheat in the oven or air fryer. For 5 mins.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Old fashioned or thick oats and flour – This is the base for your dough. You can use gluten-free or other flours, if needed.
- baking powder, salt, and spices – Baking powder results in a fluffier casserole, while the salt and spices add lots of flavor!
- veggies – Bell peppers, carrots, onion, tomato, and cilantro add flavor, texture, and nutrients.
- wet ingredients – Non-dairy milk and oil add moisture to the oats mixture.
- If you want even heartier vegan baked oats, add a quarter cup of nuts or almond flour to the pan before baking.
- For more protein, add a cup or so of cooked beans or edamame.
- Make sure to use warm non dairy milk and stir really well, so you have a nice, even mixture. Adding the ingredients in stages, as directed, helps you get a cohesive mixture that will bake up to the best texture.
How to Make Savory Veggie Baked Oatmeal
In an 8×10-inch or similar size baking dish, add the oats, flour, baking powder, chia seeds, salt, and spices and mix really well.
Then, add all the vegetables and toss well.
When those are well-combined, add the oil and warmed milk and mix really well.
Use a spatula even the mixture out, then let the mixture sit for five to 10 minutes while the oven is preheating.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC) then bake the oats for 35-40 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are slightly golden.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the baked oats cool completely before slicing.
You can serve savory baked oats warm or cold. They are delicious with ketchup or chutney or a squeeze of lemon juice or dished up as-is.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have mushy baked oats, you just need to bake them for a little bit longer, so they can firm up all the way through the middle.
You can make this gluten-free by using gluten-free flour and making sure your oats are certified gluten-free.
As long as your non-dairy milk isn’t soy milk, this recipe is naturally soy-free.
Yes! Just make sure your non-dairy milk isn’t made from nuts.
This was so good! I used cajun spice, as well as the nutritional yeast + Daiya shreds. Freezing the rest. Can’t wait to try it with sambar, etc!
Delicious recipe, Richa. It came out perfect. I used whole wheat flour (I wasn’t sure if garbanzo flour would be okay), and I used the sambar. I thought it was going to be very spicy, but not at all. A teaspoon was just right. I also used broth and the yogurt in place of the milk and oil. We just loved it. We’ll definitely be having this again soon.
Vegan Richa Support
Prepping this now. Would it be okay to use 1/3 cup garbanzo flour in place of the all purpose flour?
Nope. It won’t cook through and will taste bitter. Use oat flour or almond flour or just omit the flour.
This looks so cool! Do you think it could be made in the instant pot instead of baked?
Yes use instructions for instant pot banana oat bar from my instant pot book!
It is set for serves 3 for 9×9 pan. If I increase the serving 4 or more, the ingredient amounts change but the pan size does not. So is this just making a taller amount, or is it supposed to change the pan size? Thank you 🙂
Yes use a larger pan or it will be quite a bit taller bake 🙂
Have never used berbere before but bought a bag since I’ve come across other recipes using that seasoning. Been wanting a savory baked oatmeal and 🤯 you posted this recipe. Great minds think alike 😃. Will be making this savory baked oatmeal today! Oh, and I’m making it with the almond flour and edamame
Vegan Richa Support
yay! can’t wait to hear what you think!