This bread has a nice fennel taste to it and does amazingly well as a starter base for any cool toppings like mozarella, basil, tomato or bruschetta or feta tossed in light balsamic!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 8 teaspoons flax seed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Warm the water and add yeast and sugar to it. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add the bread flour to the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add the milk, salt, and seeds and mix well.
- Add in the whole wheat flour,1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough.
- Place dough in a warm place, covered, for about an hour or until doubled.
- Knead for 5 minutes and repeat step 5.
- Knead the dough for another 5 minutes and shape into a loaf and place in a well greased bread pan. Sprinkle some fennel and flax seeds on top( i forgot to do this)
- Place bread pan in warm oven, with a pan of boiling water for half an hour. Cover the bread pan with wet towel.
- Remove water and towel and bake bread at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Spray some water on the bread 1-2 times in the first 10 minutes.
- Cool on rack before slicing!
- Enjoy with Tea, or feta, or toasted topped with cheese and bruschetta!
This bread is headed to Susan's Yeastspotting!