Grillable Veggie Burger. No Nuts. Easy Sunflower Seed Black Bean Burger with Veggies and spices. Pan fry, Bake or Grill. Serve with BBQ Sauce and other fix ins. Vegan Burger Recipe. Gluten-free option. Nut-free. Soy-free option
It is time to fire up the grill and flip some veggie burgers. These hearty burgers are made up of black beans, brown rice, sunflower seeds and amazing seasoning. You can grill or pan fry the patties.
Veggie burgers can be overly squishy (too many beans, too much moisture), or too crumbly (not enough binding, big unmashed ingredients such as whole beans or large chunks of onions, peppers, veggies). Both these issues can be solved with vital wheat gluten in the patties. I don’t like the texture of the patty with vital wheat gluten, so in these burgers just the right balance of cooked grains, beans and some breadcrumbs work well to make a sturdy grillable patty. With any veggie burger, mash the ingredients well and pack them well for sturdier results.
Black beans work really well in these burgers. You can also use kidney beans. The toasted sunflower seeds make these hearty. Whole coriander seeds, smoked paprika and lemon add complex flavors. These patties are a must make.
See 35+ Veggie Burger options here, no fake meats! Which beans/lentils are your favorite in a veggie burger?
More Veggie Burgers from the blog
- Lentil Quinoa “Meatloaf” Burger
- Peanut Carrot White Bean Burger
- BBQ Veggie Burger with Mango Carrot Cabbage slaw
- Lentil Walnut Burgers.
- Red Lentil and Cauliflower Burger with Onion rings and Chipotle Habanero Mayo
- Grill-able Artichoke Cauliflower Spinach Bean Burger
1 year ago today: Sweet and Spicy Gohujang Chickpea Wraps
2 years ago today: Vegan Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins
Everyone has a favorite black bean burger. When in a rush, I process up black beans with rice or quinoa and some spices and grill them up. Squishy or just right, they all go into the tummy when hungry. I think the first time I made a black bean burger version from the simple burger recipes on the web, I found that it needed some, or wait a lot of flavor. So this one puts the basic elements of the bean burger with some toasty coriander seeds, zesty lemon, old bay seasoning, bbq sauce, caramelized onions that have been spiced with smoky paprika and of course love, to make a fantastically flavorful patty. The ingredient list becomes long, but most of it is spices and herbs.
Do try this burger, and let me know in the comments if this replaced the usual black bean burger!
Toast the sunflower seeds and process with spices to a coarse meal.
Process 1 cup black beans, rice and other ingredients until well combined. Transfer to a bowl. Mix in the remaining black beans and breadcrumbs. I use white basmati rice in the patties pictured. Brown rice adds a bit more chewy texture which also works well. But brown rice doesnt work well in my tummy. Use whichever rice works best for you.
Shape into patties.
Assemble and serve!
- ½ cup sunflower seeds or pepitas or heaping ½ cup nuts such as walnuts or pecans if you are ok with nuts.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 hot green chile, finely chopped or 2 tbsp green bell pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp old bay seasoning + ½ tsp garlic powder + ½ tsp oregano, Or 2 tsp cajun/taco/chili powder blend of choice + ½/ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked brown or white rice ( I prefer white in these patties)
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained well, or 1.5 cups cooked
- ¾ tsp salt (more or less depending on if the beans and rice are salted)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1.5 tbsp flax seed meal
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (use gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp or more flour (use rice flour or chickpea flour for gluten-free)
- tomato slices, onion slices
- sprouts or baby greens
- bbq sauce, mustard, ketchup etc
- Toast the seeds on a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Add the coriander seeds and fennel seeds after 2 mins of toasting and mix in. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
- Make the smoky caramelized onions: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion , green chile, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp sugar. Cook for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add ½ tsp smoked paprika and mix. cook for a minute. Add a good splash of water and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 mins. then use.
- In a food processor, add the seeds and spices. Add the seasoning, garlic and cayenne if using for additional heat and process until coarse meal.
- Add the rice and 1 cup of black beans, salt, 3 - 4 tbsp of the smoky caramelized onions, lemon juice, flaxmeal, bbq sauce. Process until most of the beans have broke down.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Mix in the breadrumbs, flour, remaining black beans. Taste and adjust salt, heat and seasoning. Add more is needed and mix in. Add more flour if needed. I usually add some cayenne if using old bay seasoning. Chill for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Shape into patties using a cookie cutter (press mixture into a cookie cutter until packed. Tap to release. Even out the top). Heat up the grill over medium heat. When hot, grill for 3 to 5 mins per side. Or pan fry in a skillet over medium heat with a little oil.
- Dress with the smoky caramelized onion, tomato slices, bbq sauce or ketchup and mustard, or vegan ranch.
To make the patties soy-free, use soy-free bbq sauce
For variation: Add zest of half a lemon with the lemon juice.
Use ketchup + sriracha instead of bbq sauce.
Add more smoked paprika for smokier onions