Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Rice Pulao – Brown Rice Lobia Pulao. Black Eyes Peas and Rice cooked with spices and veggies. Saucepan option. Vegan Gluten free 1 Pot Soy free Recipe Nut free option
I love beans + rice and and I love roasted peanuts or other nuts in pulao(spiced rice). This version uses black eyed peas and brown rice and is a mix of a few pulao styles across Indian cuisine. Add whichever spices you have(other cuisines blends work too!), and veggies of choice.
Black eyed Peas (Lobia/Chawli/Raungi) are often ignored in favor of various chickpeas or split peas. But these beans are so smooth and soft and have their own fantastic flavor. Try them in curries, pizza(yes!), stir fry/hash and in this easy 1 Pot meal.
More Instant Pot Meals
- IP Red Lentil Chili. GF
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. No standing and stirring needed! GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Potato Chickpea Spinach Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Use Cajun blend, Berbere or Jamaican curry blend for non Indian flavor variation. Omit the nuts if you wish. Use a few tbsp sunflower seeds or dalia (split roasted chickpeas, you can find them at the Indian store or online). Serve with pita bread or garlic bread or papadums.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Rice Pulao - Brown Rice Lobia Pulao. Black Eyes Peas and Rice cooked with spices and veggies. Saucepan option. Vegan Gluten free 1 Pot Nut free Soy free Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked/dry black eyed peas
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/3 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 cup raw or roasted peanuts , or use cashews (or sunflower seeds or dalia(roasted chickpeas) for nutfree)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 1/2 hot green chile optional
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala or 1 to 1.5 tsp biryani masala
- 1/3 tsp cayenne less or more to preference
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped, or other veggies
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt
- lemon juice , cilantro for garnish
- Soak the black eyed peas and basmati rice in hot water for 20-30 minutes. In the meanwhile, prep and follow the next steps.
Press saute mode on IP. Add oil and let it get hot. Add the seeds and cloves and cook for half a minute. Add the nuts and cook for a minute to roast. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, and chile and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the ground spices (turmeric through cayenne) and mix in. Add the tomato and peppers and mix in. Cook for a minute.
- Drain the black eyed peas and rice and add to the pot. Add water and salt and mix in.
- Pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Taste and adjust salt. Add more garam masala or other spices if needed and mix in.
Add a good dash of lemon and cilantro, some chopped red onion and serve with pappadum or crackers. I also like the pulao with some kachumbar salad.
Stovetop: Follow steps 1 to 3 in a Saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tomatoes are tender. Mash the larger pieces. Add the soaked black eyed peas, rice and 2 1/2 cups water. Partially cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add salt and mix in. Add more water if needed. Continue to cook for another 10 to 20 minutes until the beans and rice are cooked through.
Variations: Use green Mung beans or adzuki beans or small kidney beans for variation.
Nutrition is for 1 Serve, does not include sides.