Golden Chai Mix for Turmeric Chai Latte. Golden Milk Mix + Chai Spice is a perfect start to the morning. This mix is caffeine-free, great for gifting, and use in curries, dals, stews, with veggies. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I’ve been trying to change up my morning Chai to be caffeine free. Don’t ask me how that is going (it is hard!). I’ve been reducing the masala Chai and subbing a portion of it other options. This cup of this Turmeric Chai works the best. The warm spiced drink feels cozy and the refreshing spices remind me of the brewed spiced masala chai. Success!
My favorite Indian Chai spice mix gets a makeover with the addition of Turmeric and some optional saffron. This potent and flavorful mix makes amazing golden chai latte, minus the chai(tea, caffeine). Mix up this golden chai mix, change up the amounts of spices to preference. Boil in a small amount of non dairy milk then add some frothed non dairy milk and done!
You can add a tea bag to it for tea, serve it cold over ice or make a golden ice cream shake or smoothie! You can also use this mix in dals, veggie stir and curries! Try it in my peanut butter chickpea curry, lentil soup, and aloo gobi. Lets make some!
Ingredients for Golden Chai Mix
- Turmeric: Turmeric in large amounts (3 tbsp here compared to less amounts of other spices)will have a strong flavor. The type/ brand of turmeric matters. Some brands have a more bitter flavor. Some are finer grind, some are coarse. Some are not pure turmeric. Some make me feel reflux-y, while others help me feel better after a heavy meal. Some are a bit spicy. Try different brands to find the one that works the best for you. Use 2 tbsp for less turmeric in the mix.
- Cardamom: Unlike generic chai spice mixes and blends, cardamom is the bigger flavor in authentic Indian Chai spice, compared to cinnamon. It adds a citrusy, flowery aroma and flavor to the mix. Adjust it to preference. Cardamom also can add a bitter r stale flavor depending on brand. A good one is a brighter fresher flavor that will make this mix magical!
- Cinnamon balances out the mix with its sweeter, aromatic flavor and aroma and is so soothing.
- black pepper and cloves add the spice(heat) in the mix.
- ginger adds a refreshing, sweet, warm balance.
- Saffron is a small amount to enhance the flowery notes, reduce bitter and make it a richer flavor. It is optional, but do try if you have some.
Note: Turmeric in small amounts is generally ok for everyone. However, turmeric can cause slower blood clotting. If in doubt, please consult your doc about the amounts and frequency that is ok for you.
Measure out the ingredients and add to a jar. Mix well and store in a dry, cool place.
More Drinks from the blog
Some Turmeric Iced Spiced Tea, because hey iced tea! Lassi! Mango Lassi Or Turmeric Lassi. Mango Panna is a spiced mango drink usually made with raw mangoes. Sour, tangy, sweet! Also very popular in Summer.
This Cookie Dough Blizzard. Need I say more.
Make the hot Turmeric Chai Latte by boiling some of the golden chai mix with non daiy milk. then adding the remaining milk, sweetener and bring to a gentle boil. Strain and serve!
How to use Golden Chai Mix
- Make Golden Chai Latte, chilled golden chai, or golden chai ice cream shake or smoothie! For any of these, heat the turmeric chai mix in some non dairy milk or water until boiling and then use it however you like. Boiling the mix allows for the flavors to meld, turmeric to be more effective and also mellows the bitter flavors. Depending on the spices used you can strain the mixture to use.
- Add to Curries or Dals. Try it in my peanut butter chickpea curry, lentil soup, and aloo gobi
- Add to curry fried rice. Toss with Veggies and roast.
Golden Chai Mix for Turmeric Chai Latte
- 3 tbsp powdered turmeric preferably organic
- 2.5 to 3 tsp ground cardamom , to flavor preference
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) saffron (6 strands) , optional
To make Turmeric Chai latte
- 1 1/2 cup (354.88 ml) non dairy milk , divided
- 2 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- Add the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, clove and ginger to a bowl or container and mix. Powder the saffron strands between your fingers and mix in. Store in airtight container in a dry, cool, dark storage for upto 3 months
To make Golden Chai latte:
- Heat 1/4 cup non dairy milk with 1 tsp golden chai mix and 2 tsp sweetener of choice, until boiling. Pour in 1.25 cup as is or frothed non dairy milk. Pour gently in as some non dairy milks tend to separate if suddenly heated.
- Bring to just about a boil. (You can add in some loose tea leaves or a black tea bag for a chai as well). Pour into cups( strain if needed). Serve as is or topped with whipped coconut cream.
To make chilled Golden Chai/Turmeric Iced Tea:
- Heat 1/4 cup non dairy milk with 1 tsp mix and 2 tsp sweetener of choice, until boiling. Mix or blend with 1 to 1.5 cups cold non dairy milk and ice.
To make Golden Chai Shake:
- Heat 1/4 cup non dairy milk with 1 tsp mix and 2 tsp sweetener of choice, until boiling. Blend with vanilla ice cream or frozen banana + non dairy milk as needed depending on consistency preference.